Have I enough time...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stockie

Ticking the boxes
Hi everyone need some advice. My friend is looking at doing lejog in septmber 2012 and I am tempted to do with him. The only thing I have done previously was Manchester to blackpool which is 62 miles along with the training to get that completed. I am prepared to do as much training as possible between now and sept.

Question is am I mad or is it realistic to do with 6 months training. Looking to take a couple of weeks to complete.

Any advice (including laughter) would be most welcome.

You'd be able to do it now TBH. A lot of pople baulk about the milage involved when doing the E2E but remember this:

You say two weeks so that's roughly 950/14=70 miles a day.

All day to do 70 miles, even at a very comfy 10mph averge that's only 7hrs in the saddle. Piece of cake.

I would suggest doing some routes with some hills with the milage topping out at 100/120 miles leading up to September and you'd be more then ready.

Also go out in full kit with your bud to get use to the weight of carrying extra gear, make the ride(s) that bit longer as to induce some stress/fatigue so you get used to each others strengths and weaknesses.

An enjoy it, whilst the LEJOG is not the prettiest of rides there is no better feeling on a bike when rolling into JOG - good luck

OP
OP
Stockie

Stockie

Ticking the boxes
Many thanks for the advice.

My other half has offered to follow us as support in car which means we would not have to carry too much stuff each day. A lot of my current mileage (when I get bike off turbo) has hills in as I live near peak district, so hoping this will help.

Glow worm

Legendary Member

I'd say go for it! I'm planning it for late April/ May and giving myself about the same amount of time (16 days). I've done 70 milers in a day quite often and will do a few more before I go, though am planning on my general fitness to get me through as I do a 20 mile round trip commute each day. My longest planned LEJOG day is about 80 miles through Herefordshire and Shropshire where it's not quite as hilly- I'm planning 45-60 miler days on the hilly bits (Cornwall, Dartmoor etc). I reckon with 6 months training you'll be totally fine.

theloafer

Legendary Member
Hi everyone need some advice. My friend is looking at doing lejog in septmber 2012 and I am tempted to do with him. The only thing I have done previously was Manchester to blackpool which is 62 miles along with the training to get that completed. I am prepared to do as much training as possible between now and sept.

Question is am I mad or is it realistic to do with 6 months training. Looking to take a couple of weeks to complete.

hi stockie
you will be fine dont think of it as a 1,000 mile ride but as 14 day rides just that your doing them one after the other as you say if you have support also then it will be a doddle:whistle: have done it twice for my 40th +50th b/days going for the third in 3 years time (touch,s wood) i would try and fit in a couple of w/end trips with gear you might be carrying :thumbsup:

wintonbina

Über Member
I agree with all the comments above. We did it in nine days & some more tasks after:rolleyes:and I'm knocking on!
Go for it, it's a great experience that you will never ever forget. Even when your backside hurts you will look back on it with pride. Honestly!!!!
Tony

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You don't need a high mileage in your legs especially if you are doing a supported ride.

A couple of months of regular weekend rides will see you through.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Go for it. Even if you're not fully fit at the start, you will be by the end...
This. I did no specific training for mine, went from my usual one day a week of 30-50 miles straight into a LEJOG with only a lap of the Isle of Wight in the way of prep (to get some experience with those hill things). Admittedly we only averaged 52 miles a day, but if you can do the mileage as a day ride, you can do it again the next day and the next ...

You do tend to eat a lot of cake on a LEJOG, though, so you might want to train a bit for that part.

Top Bottom