Have you been conned?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Getting the Nat. Express bus from Heathrow airport down to Exeter a few years ago, I met and 'befriended' a couple who were just returning from their holiday in Egypt.

Lots of small talk later, we arrived at the bus station, where they offered to take me in their taxi to my mother's.

I gave the girl (about 28) a hand with her suitcase as it weighed a ton. Actually 30 kg. I asked them what was so heavy and she proudly replied that they had bought some 'genuine' ruined statues that were found inside one of the pharoh's tombs! :rolleyes: :smile:

Yeah; right!

Anone else been had know of someone who's been done over? :laugh:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
My sister seems to have been done in the last couple of weeks. Bought a car before it'd had it's MOT done and which had no tax disc. Naughty girl didn't think of all this and drove back without a tax disc. The VPN looked, suspicious...

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm way too smrt to get conned, me. I thought someone was trying it on when they were selling me some Roman coins dated 46 BC but an expert came along and told me they were kosher and they only costed me £3,600. Smashing.

yello

A couple of times.

A German lad in Segovia, Spain claimed to have been mugged, had his passport stolen etc., he'd spoken to his parents and money was on the way but could I lend him some money until then. Pocket money really; we swapped addresses but that was the last I heard. I wrote to the address to hopefully lay a guilt trip but nothing was forthcoming. It's a shame because it makes you dubious of genuine situations. I did the same for an Australian girl in similar circumstances in Barcelona - she wanted the rail fare to get to the Aus consulate in Madrid. There was a letter and some money from her dad when I got back to the UK.

Second time was a suit on Baker Street who claimed to have been pick pocketed - could I lend him a tenner to get home. He gave me his mobile number, which was good, but again last I heard. I was tempted to go to the police but I couldn't be arsed.

Greedo

My wife cons me everytime she goes shopping. I didn't know womans clothes shops have a sale on all year round!

yello

I didn't like the Big Lebowski at all. The runt of the Cohen brothers family imho. I was conned there when I bought my ticket!

Mr Phoebus

Once we found this big box of 'josh sticks' we crumbled some up and put the crushed pieces into one of those little zip bags.
Saw the local druggie dip-stick and asked him if he'd like some White Widow.
He couldn't buy it any quicker.

Half-an-hour later there was a knock on my mates door, it was the druggie.
We thought he'd come to complain that the stuff we sold him was crap and
making him feel ill.
He only wanted a lot more off us. ;):ohmy::ohmy:
Told us it was awesome, and the best smoke he'd had in ages. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
The first bag cost him £5 the rest cost him £25.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I saw There will be blood for a penny the other night. Was quite good. Anyway Dayvo has denied being very like the dude before, which only the dude would do. If they did a remake of it Jeff Bridges has aged a bit, but Dayvo happens to be about the right age now. These things should tell you something ;)!

peanut

yeah I've been done. I'm way too trusting. Paid 100.00 into someone's Building Society account for an item on ebay. Nothing arrived. Checked his address details on ebay and he had removed them :sad:
No address, nothing I could do. Not proud of being so dumb but he'd better hope I never find him;)

Top Bottom