Having to wear a helmet to do a sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Before i start this IS NOT another you should/should not wear a helmet ( enough of them threads already
rolleyes.gif
)

I have been cycling longer and longer distances on my own which i enjoy but i would like to take it a stage further.
I think i'm ready now to do a sportive or two and have made a few enquiries and it looks like i'll have to wear a helmet to take part. Now i don't wear a helmet and have no intention to either. I can't even sign a disclaimer apparently, bloody health and safety. So is that it then, either wear a helmet or don't do sportives?

jay

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
We have two local sportives, one (which I ride) does not insist on a helmet, though they say you are not covered by the clubs insurance if you don't. Fair enough.

The other (Tour of Pembrokeshire) has a compulsory helmet rule, and for that reason I give it a miss. Most events sem to take the latter stance, unfortunately.

Eoin Rua

I only wear a helmet at certain times, but doesn't it seem a bit silly to not do an event just because of quite a sensible ruling?

The phrase cutting off your nose to spite your face comes to mind...

Paul_L

Über Member
i guess the organisers of events can make whatever rules they want, and if you don't like them don't enter.

Simple as.

The Tour de France brought in mandatory helmet rules a few years back, and i don't recall too many riders not entering in protest.

i guess the organisers of events can make whatever rules they want, and if you don't like them don't enter.

Simple as.

The Tour de France brought in mandatory helmet rules a few years back, and i don't recall too many riders not entering in protest.

I don't participate if helmets are required.

Personal choice - I stopped organising sponsored rids for the local Scouts due to the insistence on helmets.

The Group is now some 25% down on its fundraising.... but that is the cost of the restriction.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I only wear a helmet at certain times, but doesn't it seem a bit silly to not do an event just because of quite a sensible ruling?

I don't refuse to enter a sportive which requires me to wear a helmet because my dislike of wearing one for up to six hours outweighs the enjoyment I would get from the event. It is nothing to do with a dogmatic principle because if I was still racing I would wear one as the reverse is true. Whether it is a sensible ruling or not is a matter of opinion. Interesting article from this weeks CW, or maybe the French know nothing about cycling and are just plain stupid.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/blog/497142/brittany-not-a-helmet-in-sight.html

As for pro riders, they don't get a choice as they need to earn a living.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky

That's why i asked is it a case of helmet or no sportive, just seems a bit of to much 'health and safety gone mad' and not even given the choice even by waiving all rights.

Looks like a new purchase is in order....or not.

I don't participate if helmets are required.

Personal choice - I stopped organizing sponsored rids for the local Scouts due to the insistence on helmets.

The Group is now some 25% down on its fundraising.... but that is the cost of the restriction.

I'm sorry but I'm amazed by this last quote.... I find it hard to even put into words how ridiculous your decision to stop help organize bike rides for these youngsters purely based on the fact of been told they must wear helmets....
To not be able to see the benefits of having a lid on and not wanting to encourage the youngsters in the safe equipment to wear when cycling totally baffles me to be honest... I don't blame the scout movement for implementing this ruling and as a parent myself I'd be amazed if i let my son take part in a cycling event where the wearing of helmets wasn't compulsory.
Suppose you don't wear a seat belt either as these aren't really comfortable either are they!!!!!!!

jimboalee

Helmets were not a legal issue ( or are now ) on a skateboard.
Helmets were mandatory in a skatepark. We either wore them or went home.
Elbow and knee pads were also mandatory on parts of the skatepark that had a vertical.

At least Sportive organisers are not calling for elbow and knee pads. You know how agressive some of those racey boys get :laugh: .

jimboalee

I'm sorry but I'm amazed by this last quote.... I find it hard to even put into words how ridiculous your decision to stop help organize bike rides for these youngsters purely based on the fact of been told they must wear helmets....
To not be able to see the benefits of having a lid on and not wanting to encourage the youngsters in the safe equipment to wear when cycling totally baffles me to be honest... I don't blame the scout movement for implementing this ruling and as a parent myself I'd be amazed if i let my son take part in a cycling event where the wearing of helmets wasn't compulsory.
Suppose you don't wear a seat belt either as these aren't really comfortable either are they!!!!!!!

Maybe he fell off once and slapped his head on the pavement. The result of this is he's been living with an ( up to now ) unknown impaired sense of judgement.

Maybe he fell off once and slapped his head on the pavement. The result of this is he's been living with an ( up to now ) unknown impaired sense of judgement.

Haha.... yeh maybe... i know its a personal choice but to then not help with a kids organisation for that reason just baffles me... oh well each to their own...

TrevorM

I have no legal knowledge but wonder what the legal position is. If someone was unable to wear a helmet for, let's say, religious reasons (e.g. Sikh) presumably they couldn't be refused entry as it would be discrimination. But on the other hand if they dropped the helmet requirement for them, what grounds would they have for insisting I should wear one. Has anyone ever asked organisers what their position is on this? Anyone with more legal knowledge have any comments?

I registered for a 100 mile event in June because they stated clearly that helmets were optional.
Only 4 days before the event they changed their minds and said helmets were now compulsary. I objected but they wouldn't budge and so I withdrew my entry. But rather than let down my training partners I rode the route with them anyway without a helmet. None of the marshalls made any comment.

But the thing that gets me is if you and any good lbs will tell you this... That if you choose your helmet carefully and go to a decent shop with good fitting knowledge you should be able to ride without even realising you are even wearing a helmet... its only feels uncomfortable if you have bought the incorrect one that doesn't fit your head... you wouldn't buy and pair of shoes you couldn't wear all day would you!!!!!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
But the thing that gets me is if you and any good lbs will tell you this... That if you choose your helmet carefully and go to a decent shop with good fitting knowledge you should be able to ride without even realising you are even wearing a helmet... its only feels uncomfortable if you have bought the incorrect one that doesn't fit your head... you wouldn't buy and pair of shoes you couldn't wear all day would you!!!!!

Oh, come on, read what you just typed, do you have an interest in helmet sales or something? They are becoming compulsory due to insurance liability issues and heavy lobbying from helmet manufacturers piggy backing on health and safety agendas.

Assess your own risk and then ride as you want to ride but spare us the pseudo science and anecdotal nonsense.

Top Bottom