Head Ache.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doug.

Veteran
Hello.
Please can any one help or offer advise re. the following ?
After a 10 or more mile ride I develop a rather bad head ache,
that lasts for some hours.

I have a roadster /racer also a Hybrid with sadle and front suspension.
I get the head ache what ever machine I ride.
I wear padded shorts/cycle trousers and believe the bike(s) are set up correctly re. saddle height and the handle bars.
I have been cycling now for more than two years and this problem persists.
Maybe I am riding with my body or neck not flexible enough ?
The roads I ride on are generaly not pot holed and the pot holes I encounter I go over lightly that is I lift my behind off the seat so as not to get jared.
Also not over weight at 6ft.3 ins. and 13.5 stone (although I am rather "mature")
Nothing I can do about the later !
Any constructive advise much appreciated.
Thank you.
Doug.

lukesdad

As at a guess. Could be de hydrated.

Armegatron

I get this myself if I havnt had enough to drink or eat. Hope you get it sorted because its not a nice feeling like.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Could be the cold weather. Are you wearing anything on your head?

I always get headaches, and the only thing that touches is it, is to use an energy drink. I use SIS PSP22 about 1/2 hour before and during my ride. I have got high blood sugar issues, and need to eat regular so that could be it to.

Flipside

i would opt for hydration too, have a look at your urine when you got to the bathroom your are aiming for clear.

KevinG

Is your blood pressure OK?

ASC1951

Guru
Try hydration and proper food and temperature, but if your headache is still there, don't ignore it - it may be a warning of some other malfunction.

OP
OP
D

Doug.

Veteran
Thank you all very much for the replies and advise.
It seems that dehydration may be the problem.
I always take plenty of liquid with me and at my first stop I often drink 0.5 litre of fluid.
Possibly I should drink that amount before I set off ?
As I remember from my marathon running days the general advise was drink before you realy need it because beeing parched or very thirsty is too late for the re.hydration to take effect.
My blood pressure is fine.
Once again thank you all very much and may I wish you all a very good new year,with lots of pleasent cycling.
Best Wishes
Doug.

longers

Legendary Member
As well as the good suggestions previously on here - I get headaches from stiff neck and shoulders.
My positionings on the bikes are fine but if it's tensed up before I get on the bikes then if I don't stretch in the first few miles then I get the headache.

ACW

Don’t laugh but i get headaches if i put my sunglasses legs between me and the straps on my helmet. i am assuming the legs a restricting the flow of blood through the big veins on the side of my head causing the headache. It goes away if I take the glasses off or stop and fit them properly.

Top Bottom