Headphones and Cycling! Is it safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedStork

The only thing I dislike about biking on my own is the silence... Well, actually no, I like silence. I dislike silence interrupted by engines.

What is everyone's opinion on biking with headphones in? Is it stupid to do, is it dangerous? Is it any different from driving in a car with a CD blaring?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I prefer using the unique radar skills you get from your ears on the bike. It's taking away an additional skill rather than something everyone else on the road has. I don't think it's dangerous having headphones on. I use my bat radar all the time though so wouldn't :biggrin:.

Agree with ^^ , wouldn't wear them, I prefer to hear whats happening around me.
Ever had a pedestrian step out in front of you because they either had mp3 player stuck in their ears or weren't really looking, just listening for a car and not looking for bikes?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Its all safe i think. Just have one in. But its up to you. If you think its safe, and you can still hear then do it.
I always have one headphone in, unless im on a club ride, and i dont see a problem with it. I have it turned up, but i can still hear everything i need to.
You will get a lot of people that havent worn headphones say that riding with them is dangerouse. I personally think its up to you.
There was a debate on this a while ago. It was nearly(ok maybe it wasnt, but it was still long) as long as the helmet debate.

hambones

I don't use them on my commute but early morning weekend rides it's not a big deal. I only wear in the left ear though and have the good fortune of another ear and eyesight which prevents any incidents from occurring.

dodgy

I'm confused about the 'engine noise approaching from behind' argument. What do you do when you hear an engine noise approaching?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If you are listening for it, you can tell a lot about what is going on behind you, changes in engine noise can tell you if the vehicle is speeding up or slowing down for instance. Franklin writes about it in Cyclecraft a fair bit...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
never wear them, tried it and even at a low volume found that you lose some awareness of what is going on around you.

skrx

I don't listen to music when cycling, firstly because I don't own a music player, secondly because I think I'd be distracted by the music (e.g. find myself moving in time to it and not paying attention to the road)

eddiemee

Would not ever. As others have said, I like to have as much sensory information as possible when I'm riding, for my own and others' safety.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
You'll never hear everything that you need to, because of other things like wind noise.

Wearing headphones in one or both ears will always decrease your ability to hear, and it will always be less safe than not to. Whether or not it's an acceptable risk is the only point that can be discussed.

Now, what was the question asked on the other thread.
Oh yeh.

Whats your thoughts on deaf or patially deaf cyclists?

OP
OP
R

RedStork

I quite agree with the losing sensorary information... I may give it a try with just one ear-pierce in on low volume. I like fast music to bike too, makes the journey go faster which is especially useful in cruddy weather.

Does anyone else agree that there is always an element of trust being a cyclist? Hoping that the person in a car behind you wont run you down. There's not really a lot you can do, even if you do hear a car come speeding up behind you. By the time it's audible and obvious you're about to get hit it's probably too late, surely?

Wearing headphones will handicap your senses of what's going on behind you, but the worse drivers are normally the ones dipping in front of you, or pulling out of side roads.

But like someone said, is it a risk worth taking...? Depends how much you like music really.

Top Bottom