Headset loose? - OLD mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CorsairC

Über Member
My commuter bike is an old British eagle from around 1994.

I've notice the headset is a bit loose. I think this because theres a judder from the fork/headset when front braking. Theres movement in the fork when I rock the bar ends.

Is this easy to tighten up?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
yes. is it an old threaded style quill stem or an aheadset type?

if it's a quill stem you may as well take it to a bike shop if you don't have headset spanners. it's a two minute job that a decent shop won't charge much for (mine charged me nowt).

an aheadset type requires you to loosen the bolts clamping the stem to the fork, then tighten the nut on top slowly until the rocking stops but the bars turn smoothly. then retighten the stem bolts.

if the bearings have gone, the above fixes won't work, and a bike shop is possibly the best option.

OP
OP
C

CorsairC

Über Member
Its a quill stem, and I don't have a headset spanner. I've been told a regular adjustable spanner won't work. Too thick.

I'll have to call into a bike shop.

OP
OP
C

CorsairC

Über Member
Just to update on this. Went to a bike shop, who tightened up, and it was fine for about 4 days. I wasn't sure before, but today its noticeable today that its coming loose again.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Some of them never seem to stay in place.

You actually need two spanners, as there is one hex that tightens the top race down onto the balls, and another which is a lock nut. And there should be a thin tabbed washer between them which engages with a shallow slot on the steerer tube. Any of those components missing ?

Make sure the LBS tightens the locknut hard whilst holding the race with t'other spanner.

Chances are, if you do it with one spanner, the locknut will either not be tight enough, or it will have dragged the top race round until it's too tight.

Depending on whether your LBS charges .... these are quite adequate spanners, and will also fit some old fashioned BB cups/lockrings

OP
OP
C

CorsairC

Über Member
Thanks for the reply. All the components are there. The guy has a couple of spanners. But I guess its worth getting a spanner myself, if this is going to keep happening. I've been doing a lot more front braking these days, I was wondering was that a factor.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Front braking shouldnt be a factor.
Take the bits apart and make sure they are clean and lightly greased before re-assembling.
Also check the locknut isnt "bottoming-out"on the steerer tube before it tightens on the race.
An extra 1 mm spacer will usually fix it if that's the problem.

Top Bottom