health & safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GentleBenn

Veteran
Might be a long shot but...Can anyone give me any advice ? Last week I attended a training course on the above and after some thought would like to do a qualification in health & safety to assist in my work, are there any health & safety managers on here,or assistants that could tell me the essential qualifications that i need , or routes i could persue?

Thanks in advance ! :rolleyes:

Abitrary

It's a minefield. Be careful.

gbb

Legendary Member
Cant offer anything specific to your question GB, but being a member of a H&S commitee within two companies has made me realise a couple of things...

My first company were commited to H&S. As a result, the team were given full backing, and the job was done properly.

Another company i worked at, the H&S manager was fighting two battles..
One with the management, who were not really committed, and as a result the H&S manager was a neccessary evil, someone they had to have, but didnt realy want. He became a thorn in their side because ultimately, H&S costs....sometimes a lot.

He was also fighting the worforce. They knew he didnt have the managements backing, so ran rings round him.

I've also realised, its the hardest thing in the world to get people to change their ways...even if its in their interest.

In some companies, its a poisoned chalice.

Willow

but it is such a boringgggggggggggggggggg subject, drives me insane. It reminds me of the financial services and the consumer credit acts. All of them end up creating as much work for those who are doing it properly as for those who don't. There must be less time consuimg more effective ways of getting it right. Producing all these policies and risk assessments mean less time to check what's really going on.

We had a child in school last week who had some sort of fit. Parents hadn't informed us that she had them before. Dad wouldn't pick her up insisted we called an ambulance which she didn't need and would have resulted in big bill for us. She did needed to go home and rest and visit the doctor. Dad wouldn't let us order a taxi in the end two teachers took her home, with mother and baby and no car seats - fortunately I was out of the office that day but a pretty unfavourable risk assessment would have come out of it, yet all we were trying to do was to be practical and get the girl home.

OP
OP
GentleBenn

GentleBenn

Veteran
I know some of it's boring , but i'm finding it necessary, as i work in some places where they dont give a damn about contractors,and i'd like to protect myself and my collegues. We've been threatened with losing a service contract ,for not wanting to work in certain conditions (long story),and my manager just folded and told us to carry on ! Dangerous !:blush:
Thanks for the replies anyway .

bonj2

You have to just get a clipboard and wave it around a lot looking important, fill in lots of forms, and wearing a high-viz jacket and a hard hat no matter where you are goes without saying.
Get used to checking everything so many times you don't actually have time to bother using it for what it was meant to be used for.

Abitrary

bonj said:
You have to just get a clipboard and wave it around a lot looking important, fill in lots of forms, and wearing a high-viz jacket and a hard hat no matter where you are goes without saying.
Get used to checking everything so many times you don't actually have time to bother using it for what it was meant to be used for.

Why didn't you put a newline between those paragraphs?

It gives people time to breath.

If you want I'll send you on an adult literacy course?

got-to-get-fit

GentleBenn said:
Might be a long shot but...Can anyone give me any advice ? Last week I attended a training course on the above and after some thought would like to do a qualification in health & safety to assist in my work, are there any health & safety managers on here,or assistants that could tell me the essential qualifications that i need , or routes i could persue?

Thanks in advance ! :blush:

Hi gentleben

I am a health and Safety manager for a petrochemicals firm.

Basic course is the IOSH managing safely ....this is aimed at shop floor staff and gives the basic elements of health and safety, how to recognise hazards, fire safety, machinery safety etc. this is pitched at a level that everyone should understand. Very basic ...Lasts a couple of days

Next level is the Nebosh General Certificate .....a two week course that gives the basic elements of management systems, legislation, best practice, litigation, insurance, hazard spotting, mitigation, risk assessment etc etc ...this is aimed at managers and would help you recognise health and safety environment factors. It will help you give practical advice to colleagues.

Next Level is the Nebosh Diploma ....generaly regarded as degree level ....you have 5 years to complete but it can be done in a year.
It is very detailed and requires you to have already passed the certificate. You will immerse yourself very deeply in legislation, law, human facotrs, ergonomics, risk, physical and welfare hazards its followed by 3 x 3 hr exams and an 8000 word dissertation.
It is aimed at proffesionals and will gain you letters after your name and qualification to a chartered body.

Next and finally is the MSc in occ health ....research based. very in depth and very dificult.

Im at Diloma level and considering the MSC. but i am a proffesional dispensing advice every day.

I think what you would need would be the Certificate ....2 weeks and 2 x 2 hr exams.

Be prepared to work your arse off though. If you need any more advice PM me.

All the best
GTGF

Mayniac

I also work in industrial safety, currently studying for my NEBOSH Diploma.

If you go down the NEBOSH route, try to find a training centre that is listed as a National Centre of Vocational Excellence. The costs are subsidised by the govt. My General Certificate cost me £400, my dip course £1700 as opposed to £1500 and £5-6k respectively quoted by some training organisations.

gbb said:
gbb said:
Another company i worked at, the H&S manager was fighting two battles..
One with the management, who were not really committed, and as a result the H&S manager was a neccessary evil, someone they had to have, but didnt realy want. He became a thorn in their side because ultimately, H&S costs....sometimes a lot.

Actually the most profitable companies in the long term are those that take their responsibilities seriously. For an example of poor risk management, just take a look at RBS......

If you do go into H&S, two bits of advice:

1. If someone calls you a pain in the ar5e, thank them for the compliment.

2. Remember, if you make something idiot proof, someone will design a better idiot.

got-to-get-fit

How are you getting on with the Diploma Mayniac......? One of the hardest bodies of study i have ever had to do.
I have completed and passed all the exams and need to hand in my dissertation before the end of the week.....big bottle of wine when i finally do this i think.

Top Bottom