Hearing or looking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Not clever cycling that! I thought he was heading for a textbook left-hooking at the lights.

Baaack to your question. I know you don't believe in listening but I personally find it useful. Not essential, but useful. Maybe its the type of country-bumpkin riding I do, but my ears can be a good early warning for several of the blind bends and dips that I face on my commute. In town, I agree that your hearing is shagged by the ambient din of engines, heavy bass and taxi drivers calling you a front-bottom. I'm not going to die a death if someone wants to ipod their way to work but, like marijuana, I tried it once myself and didn't much like it.

I suspect that matey was not much concerned with looking or listening.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
User3143 said:
LOL - he jumped out of the saddle when you spoke to him. That will teach him to ride no handed. But I blame you for distracting him and making him undertake a left turning car. ;-(

He's got a point, he's looking at you and then looking back ahead there is a car in front of him what is he going to do? He is to far over to the left to switch back and overtake on the right, plus you are in the way. So the only option is to undertake (albeit a tad wobly) the left turning car.

I suspect Mr Cellophane was being tongue-in-cheek, hence the winking sad face. For the hard of thinking, I didn't force the cyclist to do any undertaking. I didn't undertake, after all, and I left enough space that he could have passed to the offside of the left-turning car since my front didn't overlap with his rear. He didn't need to undertake, he didn't need to get a fright if he'd been looking, and he didn't need to ride without hands.

You can see further examples of observation from the both of us as we pass the parked car.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The important question of the evening BM - what are you doing riding an ass-hatchet?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Bollo said:
The important question of the evening BM - what are you doing riding an ass-hatchet?

LOL! I regretted it slightly when I got home and was shattered. Well it is a fixed wheel, so much more work than the 'bent. I've been trying to use the upright more when it's wet and horrible to save on wear and maintenance on the nice bike.

jimboalee

There is a danger in these kind of situations where the startled cyclist could be an ex-squaddie.
He may have taken exception to your pompous outburst and his resulting action could have been swift contact of his fist and your chin.

At moments like this, it is wise to make the other cyclist aware of your presence before handing out advice.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Debian said:
Sorry, I don't get the subject of the original comment? Had he previously ran a red light?

It's in the video description. He'd been jumping red lights since roughly New Cross/Peckham. I just didn't get any good examples on camera, and the clip isn't really about that anyway.

Debian

BentMikey said:
It's in the video description. He'd been jumping red lights since roughly New Cross/Peckham. I just didn't get any good examples on camera, and the clip isn't really about that anyway.

Ah, sorry. I didn't read the description.

Top Bottom