heart rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

does anyone know how to work out the average heart rate my HRM only does max and I want to record my average over a few months to see if theres any difference cheers

Bill Gates

jonnyboy said:
does anyone know how to work out the average heart rate my HRM only does max and I want to record my average over a few months to see if theres any difference cheers

You'll need to buy a computer that does that for you I'm afraid. Otherwise you would need to watch the monitor constantly during riding and then have a brain like a computer to constantly analyse the readings. And then that's assuming you haven't crashed out by not looking where you're going.:eek:

ASC1951

Guru
I measure and record my waking heart rate every Saturday morning (along with systolic and diastolic blood pressure) on one of those little machines from Boots.

It's not measuring HR under load, of course, but if you want to record the effect that increased exercise is having on you it is quite a good way to do it.

At best you could reset the max each ride and average the max for the same route to give an indication of whether you were improving on the more strenuous parts. Otherwise you need a better hrm as already pointed out.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just measure your resting heart rate in the mornings before you get up. That's a good measure of fitness.

Chrisc

Guru
Rigid Raider said:
Just measure your resting heart rate in the mornings before you get up. That's a good measure of fitness.

That's been my approach. My RHR measured in the mornings has dropped from 84 (was I in a bad way!) to 56 since August.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Rigid Raider said:

Chrisc said:
That's been my approach. My RHR measured in the mornings has dropped from 84 (was I in a bad way!) to 56 since August.
I agree with what Bill just wrote in this thread. It is the change of RHR that tells you something useful, not the absolute rate. My rate is naturally low. When I got very unfit or unwell it went up to the high 50s. When I'm very fit, rested and well it is down in the low 30s.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I think you need to buy a hr monitor that'll give you the ahr for each ride, then record in your log. The best indicator for fitness is how quick your hr recovers after exercise.

My rhr is normally 50 but if i'm unwell or lacking in training it goes up.

If you can get yourself a garmin 305 excellent for recording your training and mapping your routes. Look at maffetone training used for running but could work with cycling too.

Chrisc

Guru
My heart rate, just measured at work after coming in from the workshop is 68. After the work I've just done that's OK by me. Will try the three miunute step test later, if I do it here they'll all assume that they were right in thinking I'm barmy!

ColinJ

ASC1951 said:
..and clinically dead. :eek:

My GP used to be worried that mine was in the low 40s.
It was a bit scary sometimes lying in bed late at night when it was quiet, in such a position that I could hear my heart beat. It would go BM-BUMP (Mississippi Mississip..) BM-BUMP (Mississippi Mississip..)... It seemed an age between beats.

I've thought about buying one of those medical bracelets and writing on it what my RHR is, in case of accident. I seem to remember my mother telling me that I have an unusual blood group too so perhaps I should find out what it is and write that down too.

ColinJ

Garz said:
A.L.F Colin old bean?
¿Qué? :ohmy:

• ALF Animal Liberation Front
  • ALF Assisted Living Facility
  • ALF American Liver Foundation
  • ALF Acute Liver Failure
  • ALF Application Level Framing
  • ALF Alien Life Form
  • ALF Application Lifecycle Framework
  • ALF American Legacy Foundation
  • ALF Association of Libertarian Feminists
  • ALF Arab Liberation Front
  • ALF Allocation de Logement à Caractère Familial
  • ALF Anna Lindh Euro-Mediterranean Foundation for the Dialogue Between Cultures (Euro-Mediterranean organization)
  • ALF Advanced Library Format
  • ALF Africa Leadership Forum (Nigeria)
  • ALF Adult Living Facility
  • ALF American LaFrance LLC (Summerville, SC firetruck manufacturer)
  • ALF Auxiliary Landing Field
  • ALF Accessible Low Floor (busses)
  • ALF Autumn Leaf Festival
  • ALF Alta, Norway - Elvebakken (Airport Code)
  • ALF American Liberation Front
  • ALF Airlift Flight
  • ALF Accelerated Load Facility
  • ALF Automatic Login Facility
  • ALF Absorption Limiting Frequency
  • ALF Alfonsinos (FAO fish species code)
  • ALF American Liberty Foundation
  • ALF Art of Living Foundation (Bangalore, India)
  • ALF Airborne Laser Fluorosensor
  • ALF Average Load Factor
  • ALF A Lame Frontend
  • ALF Adaptive Lattice Filter
  • ALF Abha Light Foundation (Kenya)
  • ALF American Legal Foundation
  • ALF Aft Looking Forward
  • ALF About Life & Faith (Christianity)
  • ALF Advanced List Format
  • ALF Alert Log File
  • ALF Aerospace Legacy Foundation (Downey, CA)
  • ALF Argonne Load Flow (Model)
  • ALF Alfalfa Lawn Farm
  • ALF Automatic Letter Facer (mechanised letter sorting; Royal Mail)
  • ALF Ambassador Lapel Flag
  • ALF air lift forces
  • ALF Acquisition Logistics, and Fulfillment
  • ALF A Lotta Firetrucks (General Services Admin fire truck sales program)
  • ALF Arithmetic and Log Function (Nortel)
  • ALF Application Load Facility
  • ALF Air-Land Force
Er, none of the above!