Heaset Bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

Last night I needed to loosen my handlebars as they were slightly out of alignment with my front wheel as a result of an accident I had weeks ago but had never gotten around to fixing. I wasn't thinking very hard and first loosened the handlebar quill before I realised my mistake and loosened the handlebar grip instead :smile:. I tightened them both up, but on my way in today, I noticed that the headset seems slightly loose and can move slightly back and forwards, which is most obvious when I brake. The quill seems tightly done up now, so what have I done? Is it easily fixed? Does this mean my balls have turned elliptical? ;)

Mr Pig

What sort of head set is it?

k-dog

If you undid the top cap (it's not a quill really) and the stem bolts then you have unloaded the bearings.

It's easy to do it back up properly.

Undo the stem bolts again so that the stem can move and then tighten the top cap bolts until there isn't any play in the headset - try wiggling the bike back and forward with the brake on and you'll feel it. Then make sure that the forks move side to side easily.

You want it tight enough so there isn't play but not so tight that the wheel can't move.

Then line up the stem and tighten those bolts.

That's it.

Top Bottom