heavy breathing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
when I go up a hill, I am very conscious that I breathe heavily and loudly after a bit. Of course, I find it very embarrasing when someone is next to me and seeming to breathe quietly. :blush:
Is there a way of doing it a bit quieter as I find it impossible to breathe through my nose when loads of power is needed.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you need to breath, you need to breath. I wouldn't worry about it.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I used to breathe loudly and in short inhales.

Then I learnt that you take in less oxygen this way.

So...take a deep breathe and release it slowly. You take in more oxygen, but also your body has more time to utilise if you exhale slowly

stevetailor125

I wouldn't worry to much, I can't breath through my nose so I must look like a goldfish going up hills opening and clsing my mouth :biggrin: :biggrin:

G-Zero

Über Member
I'm a noisy breather too, especially when working hard at exercise.

I picked up on this many years ago when I first started climbing in the hills and mountains, and never noticed any excessive noise coming from my walking/climbing partner. At first I wondered if it was a fitness thing, but as I got much fitter than my regular partners, the noisy breathing didn't stop.

I think I just got used to it over the years and hardly ever notice it now.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I do all the pervy-souding deep breathing too!

I used to be very conscious of it, but I tried to not do it and I ended up choking!

Yes breathing is quite important :biggrin: (As an aside how is it going with the other half bike?)

Enw.nigel

I read somewhere that when tackling hills you should not slump over the bike. You are better off taking a more upright position so that you can take in more air and breathe deeply.
If it doesn't work the heavy breathing should come in handy for certain phone calls.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I read somewhere that when tackling hills you should not slump over the bike. You are better off taking a more upright position so that you can take in more air and breathe deeply.
If it doesn't work the heavy breathing should come in handy for certain phone calls.

Reluctant to give you my number now if we arrange a ride :laugh:

apollo179

I became conscious of unsightly panting when i passed another cyclist breathing so hard and so loudly anyone would think he was about have a coronary as he reached the top of a hill just as i was about to go down it. I thought omg thats how i must look to onlookers and ever since ive tried to ride within myself and as far as possible avoid excessive breathing. Not always possible of course , sometime you do just have to go to the max. However you dont often see the tdf riders going eyeballs eye and obviously breathing with difficulty.
I find nose under normal conditions , mouth under load.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The most effective way to breath is in through the nose and out through the mouth. If you control your breathing to do this, deep breath in, hold 2 3, deep breath out 2 3, deep breath in... Then you should find it easier. It certainly helped me when I was doing cross country running a few years ago.

Top Bottom