hebden bridge A646

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holy Warrior

I think it may also be known as Burnley Road.

Does anyone know how busy, roughly, it will be at about 10/11am tomorrow? I'm planning a route and wondering whether or not I should try to plan a quieter, less direct route into Brighouse. Does anyone have a more rural route? I'll already be on about 25 miles by this point and to get back to Dewsbury i don't to be doing much more than another 25 :sad:

Help please!

You're looking for a quiet route from Hebden Bridge to Brighouse?

There's a national cycle route along the banks of the river and canal all the way from Hebden Bridge to Elland - almost all quiet and traffic free (aye, and no hills); from memory, there's little bits go on the road.

And then - I don't know if there's a towpath along the Calder and Hebble canal; if not, I suppose the A6025 would get you into Brighouse - don't know that road at all.

Hope that helps

ooh - and just found Calder Valley Greenway; don't know it at all.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well it won't be any worse than most other A-roads at that time of day! In fact, the roads beyond Sowerby Bridge will probably be busier.

It shouldn't be too bad, but I'd always prefer to take a more scenic route. If you can stand tackling a few hills, I could suggest a nicer route as far as Elland. In fact, there is a possibility that I will be doing a ride with Calum from Hebden Bridge at about that time and could show you the way if you wanted some company? If you'd rather ride solo, I can map it out for you.

Alternatively, the Calder Valley Cycleway can get you as far as Sowerby Bridge on quiet roads, towpaths, and concessionary cycle paths and you can get to Brighouse on the canal towpath from Sowerby Bridge.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
"If you can stand tackling a few hills, I could suggest a nicer route as far as Elland"

Be afraid....very afraid.

If Colin is suggesting hills he tends to mean it :smile:

OP
OP
Holy Warrior

Holy Warrior

It's very nice to hear that the quickest route home is ok to ride so thanks for that guys. Now, though Colin has made me very curious as to the scenic route :biggrin:

In all likelyhood I will take the short route home, like I say I will have already covered 25 miles ish before Hebden Bridge and the quick route gets it to about 42 which is on the limit as to my longest rides up to this point. I will be going to Hebden via Denholme/ Queensbury which is quite hilly so I may be on my last legs.

Saying that, though, I really want to try out the hill from Delph/ Denshaw up the A640. So I may ride the 20 miles ish to Denshaw from Dewsbury then turn around and do it in reverse back up the hill. That's the trouble with this cycling lark, there's so many places to go!

I was supposed to be riding to Marsden with a friend but that's next wednesday now. If I can do each of these two rides before then the 25 miles or so will seem piddly! I may even let him catch the train back and and tackle the hill back up through Pole Moor Clough Road which looks a cracker! :biggrin:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
It's very nice to hear that the quickest route home is ok to ride so thanks for that guys. Now, though Colin has made me very curious as to the scenic route :biggrin:

In all likelyhood I will take the short route home, like I say I will have already covered 25 miles ish before Hebden Bridge and the quick route gets it to about 42 which is on the limit as to my longest rides up to this point. I will be going to Hebden via Denholme/ Queensbury which is quite hilly so I may be on my last legs.

Saying that, though, I really want to try out the hill from Delph/ Denshaw up the A640. So I may ride the 20 miles ish to Denshaw from Dewsbury then turn around and do it in reverse back up the hill. That's the trouble with this cycling lark, there's so many places to go!

I was supposed to be riding to Marsden with a friend but that's next wednesday now. If I can do each of these two rides before then the 25 miles or so will seem piddly! I may even let him catch the train back and and tackle the hill back up through Pole Moor which looks a cracker! :biggrin:

The views from the top of that road are spectacular with the right weather.

ColinJ

Well, if you are coming here via the Keighley Road, unless you especially want to come down into Hebden Bridge, why not turn left at Pecket Well about 1.5 miles before you get to Hebden Bridge and ride the scenic and quiet high road above the valley through Old Town and Chiserley then do a lovely descent through Midgeley to Luddenden then Luddenden Foot?

Turn left onto the A646, start to climb towards Halifax but after 0.75 miles turn right down Rose Grove, a quiet narrow lane. Soon, after a very short steep climb, bear right along Hollins Lane and almost immediately turn right down Hollins Mill Lane which will eventually bring you out on the A58 in Sowerby Bridge.

Turn left and begin to climb out of town, then turn right down the A6026 Wakefield Road. Continue along that through Copley. I'd be tempted to avoid the busy A629 and instead at the mini-roundabout follow the B6112 Stainland Road, turn left onto the B6113 as you come towards Greetland, then left along the B6114, left on Elland Bridge, and right on the A6025 for Brighouse.

OP
OP
Holy Warrior

Holy Warrior

Directions are well noted and very welcome Colin, thanks. On my route planner Rose Grove is coming up as a one way street, the other way. Is this just for cars? Either way I think for the sake of a tiny spell on the main road keeping on it and going down Tuel Lane would be easier to navigate.

Stainland Road is a great little avoider of the busy road! Over Elland Bridge and turning right, does that road go under the A629? it looks like it does.

Again thanks. I'm not sure if i'll be doing this tomorrow or early next week, Uni timetable permitting but it looks a great loop.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/741517

tubbycyclist

Directions are well noted and very welcome Colin, thanks. On my route planner Rose Grove is coming up as a one way street, the other way. Is this just for cars? Either way I think for the sake of a tiny spell on the main road keeping on it and going down Tuel Lane would be easier to navigate.

Stainland Road is a great little avoider of the busy road! Over Elland Bridge and turning right, does that road go under the A629? it looks like it does.

Again thanks. I'm not sure if i'll be doing this tomorrow or early next week, Uni timetable permitting but it looks a great loop.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/741517

Rose Grove is one way for cars - cyclists can turn right here and use it to access the canal as well.

The canal is also surfaced with tarmac between Elland and Brighouse and a nice alternative to the road.

ColinJ

That's just for motor vehicles. If you look on Google Streetview you can see the signs. It is very easy to navigate - you just ride down to the houses then up the little steep climb, observe that the left fork is no entry, so bear right and soon take the first right, and follow that road down and along into Sowerby Bridge. Follow the lane on Streetview and you'll see how easy it is. It's a nice quiet alternative to the main road and Tuel Lane.

(NB: avoid it on Weekend evenings. I rode along there at sunset once and the lane was heaving with aggressive drunks who were hanging about outside a small pub!)

Stainland Road is a great little avoider of the busy road! Over Elland Bridge and turning right, does that road go under the A629?
Yes it does.

Top Bottom