heeeelp please - slick MTB tyres!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

no_maggie

Hi everyone,

I ride my mountain bike to work everyday and have decided to get some slick tyres , but i am having SUCH a pain trying to find some slick 26 x 1.75's. Conti make a slick in 26 x 1.6 ... will this fit? or not? schwalbe do kojak's in 26 x 2.00 - but i really wanted to be going in the less resistence direction... not fitting wider tyres.

Anyone know of any? or have any ideas? thanks! xx

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
In the days when I used to commute on the mtb I changed from 26 x 1.95 knobblies to run on 26 x 1.6 and then 26 x 1.3 continental sports contacts with no problems. It really depends on the width of your current wheels, I assume you are running 26 x 1.75 now ?

PpPete

Legendary Member
no_maggie said:
Hi everyone,

I ride my mountain bike to work everyday and have decided to get some slick tyres , but i am having SUCH a pain trying to find some slick 26 x 1.75's. Conti make a slick in 26 x 1.6 ... will this fit? or not? schwalbe do kojak's in 26 x 2.00 - but i really wanted to be going in the less resistence direction... not fitting wider tyres.

Anyone know of any? or have any ideas? thanks! xx

Chances are you will be OK with 26 x 1.6 but it depends on the internal width of your rims.
Check this link out...http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html for a bit more information.

OP
OP
N

no_maggie

hiya ;)
really? on the same wheels? thats brilliant. its the conti sport contacts i liked the look of :smile: yes at the mo i've got 26 x 1.75's...... my brother told me that anything less that a 1.75 might not stay on the rim?? but if you had no problem..........

OP
OP
N

no_maggie

hi, thanks for that :smile:... i have no idea what the internal measurement is im afraid ;)..... how do i find that out? get me ol ruler out? x

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
no_maggie said:
hiya :smile:
really? on the same wheels? thats brilliant. its the conti sport contacts i liked the look of :smile: yes at the mo i've got 26 x 1.75's...... my brother told me that anything less that a 1.75 might not stay on the rim?? but if you had no problem..........

Yes no problems going down to 1.3. I had even considered trying a 1.0 (cannot remember the make now) but bought a road bike instead ;)

It would be worth checking out the sheldonbrown site that porkypete mentioned just to double check. I didn't and just hoped :smile:

Pottsy

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Yes no problems going down to 1.3. I had even considered trying a 1.0 (cannot remember the make now) but bought a road bike instead ;)

It would be worth checking out the sheldonbrown site that porkypete mentioned just to dould check. I didn't and just hoped :smile:

I agree with the above. Very unlikely to be a problem going down to 1.3 tyres.

OP
OP
N

no_maggie

thats brillo pads!! thanks for ya help guys. Im now oggeling at some super slick schwalbe 1.35's!! reeeeal nice looking! x

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Can't be having no maggie, that's even worse than no marmite!!!

;)

OP
OP
N

no_maggie

ha ha!! ooh thats just given me a thought.... do you recon marmite is a good chain lube??.... protective, hardwearing and delicious!! ha ha! x

Moose

I have to say I'm a fan of Schwalbe tyres for puncture protection. The kevlar in my hurricanes stopped a 1" nail from puncturing them, so I'd be tempted by Marathons.

cycling fisherman

conti sport contacts...

conti sport contacts... in my opinion are fantastic I run mine at 65psi...I have had them for 4 months now and not a single puncture on a daily 17 mile round trip, they are very fast I could not believe the differencein speed it made to my MTB.

so my recomendation would be conti sport contacts..

jimboalee

On the tyre wall, there should be some numbers which tell you the tyre size.
For Example, a Hutchinson TopSlick ( I have one in my sweaty palm right now ) 26 x 1.2 has 31-559 on it.

It is the 31-559 that is the important number. 31 mm is the tyre profile, and 559 mm is the seating diameter.

Any tire with xx-559 will fit a MTB 26" rim. The rim, if its a good one, should have 559 stamped on it, or at least on the sticker.

BTW, this Hutchinson TopSlick does not have kevlar, so it is consigned to the pile of useless spares in the corner of my garage, having never been anywhere near a bike.
Reasonable offers accepted.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why need kevlar.... ? I'd happily ride to work on Mich Pro Race tyres....it's how you use them........

Didn't expect too much out of the Hutchinsons - feel like my Pro Race's but being a roadie, I need something that will stop me flinging the MTB into the hedge....MTB's just don't hack it in acceleration etc.... the Hutchies were the best solution without flinging the bike........

That said, I've flown past rather a number of road bikes, including these rather slow Scott CR1's... don't know why they get so upset.....:eek:

Saves me killing myself on my road bikes....i.e. drivers can't anticipate speed......... and none of my road bikes accept guards...

Top Bottom