Hello and Newbie Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigsi

Hi there, first post :smile:

I am a complete newbie to cycling, my last bike would have been a Raleigh Drifter LOL :smile:

I currently weigh 21 stones, and have been cycling as part of losing weight and so far its working (was 24 stones) I am currently doing about 15-20miles on a run, with variety of hills etc.

I am using a Mountain Bike, with big chunky 26" 2.1 tyres that are knobbly, my thinking is more weight needs more tyre, am I correct to assume that slicker tyres create less resistance, the reason I ask is I am running out of new routes and would like to get further afield, but at the moment my fitness limits me, also can anyone recommend some that come in at a reasonable cost?

So if I swap to slicker tyres, can I expect to travel further with less effort? or is the difference negligible?

Second question, are all Pedals universal in fitment? the ones on this bike are resin, and I would like to get some alloy onces (as I have broken some off one pedal) can I just pick some up and expect them to fit?

Thanks
Simon

WychwoodTrev

Hi there, first post :smile:

I am a complete newbie to cycling, my last bike would have been a Raleigh Drifter LOL :smile:

I currently weigh 21 stones, and have been cycling as part of losing weight and so far its working (was 24 stones) I am currently doing about 15-20miles on a run, with variety of hills etc.

I am using a Mountain Bike, with big chunky 26" 2.1 tyres that are knobbly, my thinking is more weight needs more tyre, am I correct to assume that slicker tyres create less resistance, the reason I ask is I am running out of new routes and would like to get further afield, but at the moment my fitness limits me, also can anyone recommend some that come in at a reasonable cost?

So if I swap to slicker tyres, can I expect to travel further with less effort? or is the difference negligible?

Second question, are all Pedals universal in fitment? the ones on this bike are resin, and I would like to get some alloy onces (as I have broken some off one pedal) can I just pick some up and expect them to fit?

Thanks
Simon

Hi ya Simon welcome

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job on the weight loss :thumbsup:

I started out on a mtb with knobbly tyres and swapped them for road treaded/slick tyres and they make a great improvement on the road specialy on climbs the added bonus is they are alot quieter, I went to Go Outdoors they had a special on tyres £12.99 each buy one get one free Bargain :biggrin:

Pedals as far as I know are universal so go into LBS and pick the ones you fancy can afford

There seems to be quite a few of us on here who started with a weight loss program I have truely got the cycling bug and bought a cheap road bike,

Please look at my posts as I dont want to keep repeating myself some members are allready bored by me banging on about how much weight I have lost (Only joking) but you might find something usefull in there

upandover

Guru
I bought a new mountain bike last week, and rode to work on road (8.5 miles) with the big knobblies on, and it was hard work. I swapped tyres to slicks (well, wheels actually, for a bit of fun commuting), (these) and the difference is huge, absolutely massive, it's like riding a different bike. The knoblies were great at Cannock, but the roads need something different.

In terms of tyres, perhaps others will know better, but I would have thought 37c (3.7cm) tyres would do the trick nicely. I think for what you want them for, well worth the money for a good pair of slicks.

OP
OP
bigsi

bigsi

Thanks for the welcome guys and the assurance on the slick tyres, I didnt think about Go Outdoors so will have a run there and have a look.

I still think I would need a bigger tyre than 37 as I dont want to feel like I am riding on the rims, unless I am wrong that more air means better support for my weight?

Simon

OP
OP
bigsi

bigsi

Thanks again for the advice, turns out as a fat bloke, you dont need fat tyres, so picked up a pair of Continental Travel Contact Bike Tyres - 26" x 1.75" today, fitted them and WOW how much easier was todays run, I almost felt like I was cheating :smile:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_215298_langId_-1_categoryId_242553#tab3

Did 12 miles to go collect the car from the garage on them, looking forward to going further afield now

Simon

Top Bottom