Hello and thanks to the kind commuting cyclists this morning!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelsB

Hi folks,
I'm a female motorbiker and also enjoy cycling as well. I thought I'd sign up here because I had such a good experience with a group of cyclists today by Lambeth Bridge. I was on my motorbike at the lights, when a taxi driver moved forwards beside me and drove onto my foot. As I was screaming in pain, a very helpful cyclist came up and made him reverse off it. The cyclist then backed me up when I hobbled up to talk with the taxi driver, whilst another cyclist prevented him from driving away. Then two more cyclists moved my Triumph to the side of the street and stayed with me whilst I took a photo of his license plate. They all made sure I was alright and safe.
I was really struck by how kind and helpful these four gentlemen were this morning and thought I would come onto the cycle forum to say what a difference it made.
I know motorcyclists and cyclists don't always see eye to eye, but it's great to have some two wheeled support this morning!
Hels

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Ouch! Hope your foot's ok. :welcome:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's very nice to hear about the helpful cyclists... perhaps it was the same cabbie that called me a c**t today for no reason other then I had the temerity to overtake him whilst he was stuck in a traffic jam.

OP
OP
HelsB

HelsB

Thanks folks!! Yes the foot is quite painful and am hobbling a bit, but luckily I had thick boots on which prevented more lasting damage.:smile:
There was a nice feeling of camaraderie though when the cyclists stopped to help. Might well be the same cabbie SMR - he was obviously having a very bad day!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Awesome - like motorbikes, but I'd kill myself - bad enough on a pedal bike ! :becool:

Good call on our London folk.

Deffo two wheels stick together.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cabbie was WAY TOO CLOSE to run over your foot - especially on a motorbike....

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Firstly, hope the foots gonna be o.k. I had a car run over my foot when on the motorbike a few of years ago. Amazingly, it didn't do any damage, but I did give the driver one hell of a lecture.

It's good that the cyclists were so helpful, and it's great that you've got a few witnesses. At the very least, a complaint to the cab company would be in order as next time could be a lot worse.

Since I caught the cycling bug a couple of years ago, my CBF1000 only gets let out once a month, just to keep her ticking over. As said above, 2 wheels is 2 wheels and whether motor or muscle powered, they both have the same advantage. Filtering between gridlocked traffic is such a pleasure.....although I've cycled passed many a motorcyclist sitting in traffic.
bash.gif

Finally..........try cycling. All the advantages of a motorbike (bar the acceleration and top speed) but what you do get is;
No petrol/insurance costs, and tiny servicing/consumable costs. You can use bus lanes, park anywhere, 'bypass' red lights, use pavements, and you can get/stay fit. And we're all friendly.
Join us. :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:
character0201.gif

HovR

Über Member
Finally..........try cycling. All the advantages of a motorbike (bar the acceleration and top speed) but what you do get is;
No petrol/insurance costs, and tiny servicing/consumable costs. You can use bus lanes, park anywhere, 'bypass' red lights, use pavements, and you can get/stay fit. And we're all friendly.

The two underlined are as illegal on a bicycle as a motorbike.. :wacko:

Oh, and to the OP: Welcome to CycleChat - Hope your foot heals quickly!

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
The two underlined are as illegal on a bicycle as a motorbike.. :wacko:

Depends how you 'bypass' them. There's nowt to stop you dis/remounting, or going up on a cycle path, crossing the side road on green and rejoining the main road. Legal for cyclists, obviously not for m/cs.

As for pavements, I'm a 99% road rider (safer/faster) On occasion I use the footpath to avoid pedestrians meandering across the cycle lane, but if you're steady and safe, footpaths are safer for those not road savvy/confident.

HovR

Über Member
Depends how you 'bypass' them. There's nowt to stop you dis/remounting, or going up on a cycle path, crossing the side road on green and rejoining the main road. Legal for cyclists, obviously not for m/cs.

As for pavements, I'm a 99% road rider (safer/faster) On occasion I use the footpath to avoid pedestrians meandering across the cycle lane, but if you're steady and safe, footpaths are safer for those not road savvy/confident.

I suppose you could bypass traffic lights in this way, but I personally see no real advantage. If you are competent enough to be riding on the road, then you should be competent enough to navigate traffic lights, which in my experience is always the faster option.

You could look at the ability to cycle on the pavement, if you feel you are unable to cycle on the road, as an advantage of cycling (Despite it breaking rule 64 of the Highway Code) - However on the other hand you could consider it a fault of the government/local council for not providing adequate cycling facilities on such a road that needs them.

Sorry if I interpreted your phrasing wrongly, it was the quotation marks/apostrophes that threw me into believing that by 'Bypass', you meant go right through them. :thumbsup:

Back on topic? :laugh:

Shaun

Founder
OUCH!!! Glad you're okay ... and thanks for taking the time to post - I'm sure it will be appreciated if one of the helpful cyclists is a CycleChater ... :thumbsup:

Top Bottom