Hello Cyclechatters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone here cycled the outer hebrides? I am particularly interested to know if the Heritage trail from Garry to Ness on the Isle of Lewis can be done on a mountainbike?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Has anyone here cycled the outer hebrides? I am particularly interested to know if the Heritage trail from Garry to Ness on the Isle of Lewis can be done on a mountainbike?

The Heritage trail is a footpath so you might be expected to push your mountain bike rather than pedal it.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man

Some years since I cycled without a car as well but I've been visiting the Hebrides since 1984 and have been most places at one time or another.

If the track you mention is the one from the Tolsta road end (the bridge to nowhere) to Ness it's barely passable on foot. The first mile or so is rough track, once that peters out you're yomping through peat from one marker post to the next with bog as an added hazard.

EDIT - I'd not realised in spite of many visits that the beach at the road end was known as Garry beach. We are speaking of the same place.

http://www.virtualhe...s-hebrides.html

OP
OP
C

Charlie the Tramp

If the track you mention is the one from the Tolsta road end (the bridge to nowhere) to Ness it's barely passable on foot. The first mile or so is rough track, once that peters out you're yomping through peat from one marker post to the next with bog as an added hazard.

EDIT - I'd not realised in spite of many visits that the beach at the road end was known as Garry beach. We are speaking of the same place.

http://www.virtualhe...s-hebrides.html

Yes I was speaking of this track. I would be taking a trailer too so by the sounds of it its best avoided :biggrin:

Thanks

Top Bottom