Hello from Dorset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RaRa

Hi all,

My name's Sarah and I've been lurking around here for quite a while but until the weekend I just considered myself to be an "occasional" cyclist. After spending 3 hours on Sunday morning pedaling round the New Forest getting soaked to the skin (but still loving it) I realized it’s possible I've become a little bit crazy so decided to register here and proudly declare my obsession.

I've always loved having a bike right from the moment I sat on my first (a beaten up old Raleigh Budgie) but once I could drive I lost interest. Fast forward a number of years and I was seriously overweight and could barely climb the stairs. I started to cycle to work and since last year I've lost over 80lbs. One commuter hybrid has now turned into a Kuota Kharma road bike and just a few weeks ago I bought a Specialized Carve Comp 29 MTB (only went in the shop for some inner tubes - came out with my 3rd bike, ooops).

I'm slow and still unable to climb hills very well, but I keep going in the hope that one day I'll fly up them. I'm also woefully ignorant about the parts of a bike and my maintenance skills are limited to degreasing and re-oiling the chain. If I have to I can just about fix a puncture. I've bought a few books and would like to at least learn enough to know how to do my own servicing which will help to save the pennies.

So that’s me - in a rather long waffly nutshell!

Hello Sarah and welcome to CC!

Glad to see that you've also become addicted, like the rest of us here.

Great effort on the weight loss, and I'm impressed with the story of the third bike. Start saving for the next one, because it's out there waiting for you!

Hang around here and get lots of tips and advice (and your experience is a motivation for others, too) and plenty of laughs, and keep and eye out for CC forum rides in your area.

Manonabike

Über Member
Hello Sarah, I also welcome you to the CC forum.

I know exactly what you mean about spending long hours cycling in the New Forest.

There is plenty of information about fixing / maintaining your bike on these pages...... I'm happy to confess that I enjoy the maintenance of all my bikes nearly as much as riding them :smile:

dave72

Regular
welcome to the forum sarah. i live pretty much in the new forest in a little town called new milton it a nice place to cycle, it's only when you get out of the car and ride you see how nice the area you live in really is.
cheers dave

User269

Welcome to the forum Sarah, and welcome to the delightful cycling in Dorset. So delightful in fact, that I'm heading off to Mallorca tomorrow for some decent weather and quiet roads!

Maylian

Veteran
Welcome to CC Sarah, I know how you feel I was out and about in Dorset on Sunday and it was horrendous. I to also know the dangers of going into a shop with good intentions and coming out with a new bike :banghead:

OP
OP
RaRa

RaRa

Ty to all for the warm welcome :smile:

Top Bottom