Hello from Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe54

Hello all, I am Joe and posting from a damp and very wet Glasgow. Hope to test my first bike in years tomorrow at a local shop on Kilmarnock Rd (the owner was an ex Met' cop) clue to the name. Anyway I will let you know how many times I fall off a Ridgeback Meteor ha ha. I think that bike or something of it's type would suit my purpose i.e. for short commute and light off road in Pollok Country Park etc. Also just up the Pollokshaws Rd there is another well established shop selling mainly Claud Butler but they perhaps seem less keen to let you try before you buy. Oh and I intend using the "Cycle to work scheme" to finance. Look forward to further posts and light hearted banter so hope you are not a very serious bunch.:ohmy:

bonj2

sorry, but we are. Never mind! Can't win 'em all, eh?! :ohmy:

OP
OP
J

Joe54

May Bike Ride

Thanks for the invite but I am at the early stages of testing out something suitable then waiting for the "voucher" to be processed. I guess also to be very honest that I will need time to build up skills and stamina in anycase. Can you take a minute and tell me if you think the Ridgeback Meteor bike would be up to the trip or is a dedicated road bike the ticket. I suspect it will be the later so will have to cool my heels.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hiya, welcome to the mad house...

Joe54 said:
Thanks for the invite but I am at the early stages of testing out something suitable then waiting for the "voucher" to be processed. I guess also to be very honest that I will need time to build up skills and stamina in anycase. Can you take a minute and tell me if you think the Ridgeback Meteor bike would be up to the trip or is a dedicated road bike the ticket. I suspect it will be the later so will have to cool my heels.

None of our rides are "dedicated road bike" you are welcome to join in what ever human powered vehicle you choose to turn up with, we are about camaraderie not snobbery... :biggrin:

Hairy Jock said:
Hiya, welcome to the mad house...

None of our rides are "dedicated road bike" you are welcome to join in what ever human powered vehicle you choose to turn up with, we are about camaraderie not snobbery... :sad:

Speak for yersel ya pleb! :biggrin::blush:

Hi Joe, welcome and enjoy the ride!

ACS

Legendary Member
Joe54 said:

Joe54 if I am honest the run will never be about anyones bike, their kit, how fast they are or how slow for that matter its about enjoying each others company and having a laugh.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
heyyyy

how many joes are there now lol

OP
OP
J

Joe54

May Bike Ride

Thanks for clearing things up re bikes/kit etc I am pleased to have come to the right place "mad hoose" ha ha. From my earlier post you will see i am bikeless and my trip to test one today was a non starter due to the weather. As a beginner i might also be tempted to try some of the organised outings run by Glasgow council sport and leisure has anyone tried them out ?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
magnatom said:
Speak for yersel ya pleb! xx(:ohmy:

Hi Joe, welcome and enjoy the ride!

Mag used to be a good guy, until he bought a road bike, now he gets ideas above his station;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Joe54 said:
Thanks for clearing things up re bikes/kit etc I am pleased to have come to the right place "mad hoose" ha ha. From my earlier post you will see i am bikeless and my trip to test one today was a non starter due to the weather. As a beginner i might also be tempted to try some of the organised outings run by Glasgow council sport and leisure has anyone tried them out ?

Sorry misread earlier post, the Ridgeback Meteor would be able to do such a ride, with a wee bit of practice as 60Km is probably stretching it a wee bit for a first ride...

Try as many bikes as you can within your budget, don't just go with what the shop suggests and maybe try a few shops if you can...

OP
OP
J

Joe54

Still test driving

Hello folks, have had a wee chance during a break in the weather yesterday to try a few bikes and visit a couple of local shops. It's been many, many years since i rode a bilke but i guess you never forget except that is my poor muscles. I will take things gently when the bike arrives and really appreciate all comments so far. I lurked for a bit in the swine flu posts and pleased so many have a great sense of humour. Have you noticed the post from Alucard (beginners section) I did'nt know Dracula needed a bike but i guess fangs aint what the used to be.xx(

Top Bottom