Hello from leeds!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bloominslow

Hello there.

I have recently got a bike through the cycle to work scheme and treated myself to a lovely Boardman road bike. Its my 1st time riding since I was 17 so about ten years, and currently commuting into city ( about 7 miles each way) and really enjoying it. Just with all this tour de France going on im keen to get into doing something other than a commute ( and I think my bike deserves this!!) so any ideas on some good starting routes? or clubs I could get involved in? or any general advice on biking around Leeds?

thanks guys

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hi & :welcome: to CC

Welcome! It depends on which side of Leeds you're based? There are a few people on here from Leeds or nearby. I'm based over near East Ardsley - so if you need some South Leeds suggestions I'm more than happy to oblige. What sort of distances are we talking?

colly

Re member eR
Another Loiner here. Albeit a blow in. I live in the north of Leeds.

Not sure about clubs that might suit you but there are lots of good rides to be had in any direction.

Which part do you live in?

OP
OP
B

bloominslow

Hey guys

Thanks for your reply ive in the horsforth area of Leeds thinking about riding out into the otley/ilkley way. i have no idea what kinda distance i would be capable of doing! my 7 mile trip back from town seems to be getting more comfortable, so I have no idea what the next step would be, I don’t wanna overstretch and have to get a train back.

does anyone else commute into town from horseforth? I just go down the ring road and then on through headingly, its a pretty decent route, but any other ideas ?

Corgi Kid

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am a newbie and only joined today. There's plenty of reading to be done to catch up with everything thats going on. Hope to chat to you soon

Regards

Gary

colly

Re member eR
Hey guys

Thanks for your reply ive in the horsforth area of Leeds thinking about riding out into the otley/ilkley way. i have no idea what kinda distance i would be capable of doing! my 7 mile trip back from town seems to be getting more comfortable, so I have no idea what the next step would be, I don’t wanna overstretch and have to get a train back.

does anyone else commute into town from horseforth? I just go down the ring road and then on through headingly, its a pretty decent route, but any other ideas ?

There's some nice riding to be had going out towards Otley and Ilkley. I use this site to plan any rides:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

Maybe getting into town via Spen Lane and Burley Road would be less busy. Don't know really, I don't commute.

I haven't come that way into town for a few years - but I always used to use Burley Road as it was quieter, plus you didn't have to navigate that god awful junction at the town end of Kirkstall Road!

The other alternative if you're not rushing is to cycle the canal path to the "dark arches". And a good ride in the evening is to go the other way towards Skipton and beyond. As you're in a valley you can also deviate and throw in some hills and woodland too :biggrin:

postman

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome.Nice bike to start on .I am from Meanwood,you will find riding to Otley superb.Me and my mate love Otley loads of cafes.And always another cyclist to meet.You will eat those miles to Otley easily.Then it's just a hop skip and jump to Burnsall and beyond.Take your time and enjoy it.If you want some company i am 61 my mate is 67 but we are currently teaching a 17 year old chap to ride.He is brilliant.We do short rides through the week.40-50-60 milers.Then a saturday ride maybe once a month .Next sat ride is July 23rd.Darren is itching to see Burnsall and we are taking him to Hebden a little place a couple of miles before Burnsall.He has only been riding about three months.If you fancy it drop me a message glad to help anyone.We do not do fast or killer rides.
But two of us did do 104 last sat to Market Weighton and back.Wishing you all the best for your cycling journey.

OP
OP
B

bloominslow

Hey Guys!

Thanks so much for all your kind offers of help and advice. i will be sure ot be contacting you shortly regarding some of your offers of cycle rides and the link to bike hike also looks very interesting. think i need to get some gear before i go on any longer rides! what would you recomend ? im pretty much doing it in just some standard shorts and a t shirt at the moment, and getting a lot of sadle sore!

Oh and for those of you that might be interested iv just started a blog about my progress as a cyclist and the memories of my youth it brings back. the address is

http://theslowcyclist.blogspot.com/

let me know your thoughts :smile:

postman

Legendary Member
I find padded shorts are a must.Price range go from £15 a pair of Tenn Sports off the internet up to £70 and beyond.Take your time look in the Kit and Clothing forum.Or Google cycling shorts ,my advice would be to get bib shorts not shorts alone.And there are so many.Short sleeved jerseys again any price.Evans cycles in Leeds near the Railway station.Or Edinburgh cycle off Harrogate Road Moortown /Chapel Allerton.£35 ish.Loads of bargains Prendas Ciclisimo ,or the irish based Super-cycle clothing.I use him now excellent prices.My last one a size 8 Nalini I-Banesto cost a sataggering £14-95+ postage.Surf the web and have fun .Take a tip don't buy rubbish you only spend again .

colly

Re member eR
Bib shorts would be first as Postman said. A good pair of well padded mitts might be an idea if you are thinking of longer rides too.

Top Bottom