Hello from West London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs.Choo

Hi there,

Looking for some friendly faces and good knowledge really.

I have recently signed up to the London to Brighton charity cycle, but have been looking to get into cycling for a little while, its just where to go and how to get started is the problem.

Anyway, apart from being a complete novice and worrying that I may have "biten off more than I can chew", I live in Ealing and am a dedicated gym goer!

Anyway I am looking to start cycling (not just on the gym bike) but hoping there would be good places people could recommend locally or if there are any bike rides I could tag along on.

Thanks

Chantelle

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Very welcome. You'll be fine if you put in some training for the L2B.
Have a look in Cyclechat rides section and you will find some rides local to you with some jolly nice company.
p.s. I don't go on them!

OP
OP
M

Mrs.Choo

rich p said:
Very welcome. You'll be fine if you put in some training for the L2B.
Have a look in Cyclechat rides section and you will find some rides local to you with some jolly nice company.
p.s. I don't go on them!

Thank you for the advice, I will have a little look!

Yes the training has begun for the L2B but I am concerned because I am not sure how to pace myself and what stages I should train at...ie Week 1 - 5 miles etc!

My partner is betting against me (supportive - not) but I am determined to cycle up to two big hills to ....just to prove a point!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If it's flat and you're already fit, Mrs C, you'll have no problem doing a leisurely 20 miles and then you can see how you react.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I live in West London and there are a couple of cycle clubs that have rides on Wednesday's or Sunday's. The Uxbridge Loiterers is one, who normally meet outside Uxbridge station at about 09:00 Sunday mornings. I have only ridden once with them and I found the pace a bit too slow for my liking but they seemed to be a friendly bunch.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I did the l2b in my teens when i had never done any more than 10miles at a time on my bike. and i didn't find it to hard till i got to ditchling beacon. make sure you do some hill training.

The thing i don't like about the l2b is the fact that there are quite a few pinch points where traffic does occur and you will have to get off and push! this is often at the hills so you may be in luck if you don't like them :ohmy:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hi welcome!

I happen to live in Ealing too. There is an active and friendly group of lady and gentleman cyclists of all ages in Ealing who meet and organise rides like what you appear to be looking for every month (first Sundays). The next one is:

Sunday 7th February 2010
West London Garden Suburbs
A delightful tour around the garden suburbs of West London
Leader: Elly
Time: 10.00am prompt
Place: Ealing Town Hall Steps, New Broadway W5

I think it is highly likely that the group will organise something for the London to Brighton ride if you prefer to do it in a group. The ride to and from the London Skyride in the summer was superbly led and organised.

Please see http://www.ealingcycling.org.uk for other info. You can pm me your email address if you have difficulties joining the mailing list or if you have any question.

Ealing council runs a heavily subsidised training course (2 of 2 hours each, done 1 on 1). Please see:

http://www.ealing.gov.uk/services/leisure/sports_and_leisure/leisure_activities/cycling.html

In terms of where to go, we are lucky for being so close to the Thames Path and Richmond Park. For a gentle ride, Gunnersbury Park is quite pleasant too.

Good luck and hope to meet you at one of the future rides!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi RecordAceFromNew, how about you post this ride information (and any future rides) in the Informal Rides section of the forum.

OP
OP
M

Mrs.Choo

Morning,

Wow how did Inever hear about this rides??

I definately would love to go on the Ealing ride, does it matter I only have a mountain bike?? And the uxbridge ride sounds great too, my partners mum lives close so very convinent.

Well I am 22, so I am hoping I can do myself justice with the ride but we'll see! I have heard about the hills on the L2B, apparently you can sometime cycle up them but many dont listen to the marshalls so get in the way, and also apparently going down the hills can be dangerous too.... mmmm!

Anyway thank you so much for the advice!

I have just bought some cycling gloves as already my hands are sore - yes I am a wuss! Just looking into some ladies cycle shorts and helmet.... does anyone have any recommendations please?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Mrs.Choo said:
I have just bought some cycling gloves as already my hands are sore - yes I am a wuss! Just looking into some ladies cycle shorts and helmet.... does anyone have any recommendations please?
don't be silly.. i don't see anyone who doesn't with gloves, the padding that they give you prevents blisters and sores.

davidg

there should be an ealing residents thread!

initially I would agree record ace new. http://www.ealingcycling.org.uk/ is a family orientated group and you wont struggle on that. they do sunday rides and other midweek ventures normally involving a social aspect as well. they have a facebook page as well and will invite you to meet ups. If you click on the website and then cycle routes on the left, there are some routes that you could do yourself. I did one and it was a good circuit involving the canal tow path, but I didnt really like that with full on road tyres, but would be ideal for your mountain bike. Mountain bike is fine for them! Just look at the photos of the rides

I dont go as it's not really enough for me, so I would rather go out alone and go at my pace as I am training! and people say that I am not sociable!

after that (ie if that is not enough), then there are cycle clubs (I havent joined any yet. Loiterers looks ideal.

going round Richmond park is quite good and quite taxing with a couple of steep hills (I would have thought ideal for London to Brighton training). the road circuit is abour 7 miles, so you can start with one lap and build up! You can either cycle there or drive there and park with your bike in the back. It's about 4-5 miles to cycle there (I go over kew bridge on the 65 bus route). there is an off road circuit as well, but I dont know anything about this but look here http://www.richmondparklondon.co.uk/cycling/

that should get you going!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I am often resident in Ealing - mostly at weekends. Ishall be riding the 200k from Chalfont on Saturday. My other half might be up for shorter rides.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
ianrauk said:
Hi RecordAceFromNew, how about you post this ride information (and any future rides) in the Informal Rides section of the forum.

Hi Ianrauk thanks for your suggestion, however it seems to me a more effective way for folks to find or be informed about leisure rides is by subscribing to LCC's Rider Email group at http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?Pageid=31

Alternatively or additionally one can join one's local groups (Ealing is just one of many), links are at: http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?Pageid=31

Hope it helps!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Mrs.Choo said:
I definately would love to go on the Ealing ride, does it matter I only have a mountain bike??

A mountain bike is ideal.

Mrs.Choo said:

Personally I would recommend having a helmet for safety reasons. Specialized ones are generally made at a better than average standard (apparently they are all Snell certified). Since a good fit is so important, perhaps you can make a visit to Evans after ringing them about stock availability (nearest is near Chiswick roundabout, they have a sales on at the moment):

http://www.evanscycles.com/categori...e_from=&price_to=&sort=&per_page=20&x=34&y=12

Top Bottom