Hello.....some help needed!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat262

Hello All, just joined and require some help if anyone can spare a little time!
I have just purchased a new road bike. I cycled many years ago but my failing knees through years of running have meant I am having to find a new way to keep fit and cycling seemed the obvious choice.
Now I have a bike I need some advice on pedals and shoes. Should I go ahead and get clip in shoes and pedals or should I just use normal pedals and trainers and see how it goes at first?
I am hoping to eventually do some events and once my knee is cleaned out hope to do some duathlons.
Any help would be welcomed and I hope to get to know you all better in the futre.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hello and welcome.
wave.gif

Personally, I'd give it a bit of time before you used clipless pedals (or toe clips), stick to trainers and flat pedals for a bit. If you've not been on a bike for a while, a road bike can feel a bit twitchy or that's what I found when I first switched from a mountain bike. Potter around on it for a few days, get used to it and how it behaves particularly in the damp. You can always buy the pedals and shoes later.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Definitely give it some time-then speak to your LBS about other options. I have 'clip ins' on my road bike but you have to really be familiar & confident......allow me to explain :becool:
I have cycled (on & off) for years but never before (until perhaps 6 weeks ago) with 'clip ins'. I have now done perhaps 150 miles with them but 2 weeks ago I realised I had nearly overshot my right turn and braked so as not to over-run it........in doing so my concentration went and it slipped my mind that I was clipped in-fortunately I fell curb-ways as against into the road and only suffered a bloody leg.

It hasn't put me off them but it certainly does focus the mind :ohmy:

OP
OP
P

Pat262

Dave7, thanks for spending the time giving me some advice.
I was talking to Tony Doyle today (name dropping...sorry!) who said I would be better getting MB shoes first, what do you think about that,?

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Hello Pat.

I don't have the experience to give someone with knee problems advice on what would be best for them. I do know that if your set-up is poor (q-factor, seat height/position etc), then locking your feet into place with cleats will exacerbate any existing problems.

My personal experience (and with all due respect to other riders) with clip-in pedals (both MTB & road) has been trouble free with no falls due to forgetting to unclip.

The difference between road and MTB systems most often cited is that it is easier to walk in MTB shoes as the cleat is recessed into the shoe, whereas road systems use much larger cleats and it is like walking with a heel at the front of your shoe: tricky but by no means impossible.

How this relates to your knees (on the bike at least) I am unsure, but who am I to argue with Tony Doyle?

Between the two, I have found road shoes easier to user than MTB (although I am am sure there are plenty who will disagree) because MTB cleats are smaller and you have to press down directly on the mech with no guide. With my road shoes you bring the foot forward and the large cleat locates itself in the pedal before pressing down to lock into place.

Having said all that, it does seem that many people start with MTB types first, before graduating to dedicated road systems (which is what I did, although more by accident than design).

It is probably worth knowing that you can buy pedals which have a mech for MTB cleats on one side and are flat on the other.

Bonne route!

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I have just purchased a new road bike. I cycled many years ago but my failing knees through years of running have meant I am having to find a new way to keep fit and cycling seemed the obvious choice.
I am hoping to eventually do some events and once my knee is cleaned out hope to do some duathlons.
Any help would be welcomed and I hope to get to know you all better in the futre.

Maybe duathlons could be reconsidered ?

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Oh dear, you've said it now. You do know it's only a matter of time. :wacko:

I don't get punctures either...

byegad

Legendary Member
I'd suggest flat pedals then flat pedals with toe clips then maybe moving to a cleat system. Road cleats are beggars to walk in and with bad knees you may find an MTB pedal and shoe, which allows you to walk normally a better bet. As Shimano SPDs tend to have only a small amount of float maybe you should buy Crank Brothers or one of the other eggbeater style pedals. These have a lot easier entry and more float than SPDs.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The difference between road and MTB systems most often cited is that it is easier to walk in MTB shoes as the cleat is recessed into the shoe, whereas road systems use much larger cleats and it is like walking with a heel at the front of your shoe: tricky but by no means impossible.

What other differences are there Jimmy? If they're easy to walk in and clip you onto the bike why are there both road and mountain specific shoes when it would seem, to somebody dim like me, that you only need the one.

martint235

Dog on a bike
What other differences are there Jimmy? If they're easy to walk in and clip you onto the bike why are there both road and mountain specific shoes when it would seem, to somebody dim like me, that you only need the one.

I think road shoes provide slightly better power transfer. I've worn both (currently on MTB style) and I found that road cleats felt more "secure" particularly when sprinting and climbing. However that said I now wear MTB for everything from commuting to 200+ milers with no issues.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I think road shoes provide slightly better power transfer. I've worn both (currently on MTB style) and I found that road cleats felt more "secure" particularly when sprinting and climbing. However that said I now wear MTB for everything from commuting to 200+ milers with no issues.

Ahhh mine must be road shoes then, it'd explain why I'm so fast :whistle:
I actually have no idea which mine are now, I've looked on a few web sites at the pics and it seems they could fall into either category. They don't have a heel as a number of the mountain shoes seem to, but the cleat is recessed. How embarrassing not to know :blush:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ahhh mine must be road shoes then, it'd explain why I'm so fast :whistle:
I actually have no idea which mine are now, I've looked on a few web sites at the pics and it seems they could fall into either category. They don't have a heel as a number of the mountain shoes seem to, but the cleat is recessed. How embarrassing not to know :blush:

Recessed would tend to suggest MTB, although as you can tell from the thread so far the name is fairly meaningless, my bike is a carbon road bike, my pedals technically MTB. I would say as well that MTB cleats tend to have two bolts rather than the 3 used for road cleats but then you have things like the Speedplay system and Crank brothers.

Top Bottom