Helmet camera head strap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hey Magnatom, what strap do you use again? I'm thinking of getting the dogcam headstrap for my VIO, but am somewhat undecided atm.

Maybe I'll end up having to wear my Magic Foam Hat (TM)!!

I use the one that came with my archos helmet camera. Looking at the docamsport one, it looks pretty similar. I wear mine under a helmet and it works pretty well. In fact here is a picture of me wearing it ;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Beware if you have:

(1) a big head, or
(2) a helmet that sits down low on your head (eg Bell Alchera)

I just can't get the strap to work with a helmet. To get the camera low enough on the side of my head so that it's not stopping the helmet from fitting properly, I'd have to have the strap running across my eyes at the front rather than on my forehead.

One of the main reason's I've barely worn my cam is that I can't get it attached anywhere securely. Strap doesn't work, and the vent strap / rubber block I bought from DogCamSport won't fit in the Alchera vents without turning the camera at an angle so that it can't see straight ahead. I did figure out a bodge job with rubber bands and the cam poking out from a vent from the inside, but it's a huge pain to keep it maintained. Until someone comes up with a fitting system that works for my stupid head and helmet, the cam stays safely indoors :biggrin:

What I need is something that'll clamp into or onto a vent, but which has a locking ball-joint head so that the camera can be angled in any direction and then locked into place. Anyone seen anything like that ?

goo_mason said:
What I need is something that'll clamp into or onto a vent, but which has a locking ball-joint head so that the camera can be angled in any direction and then locked into place. Anyone seen anything like that ?

Hmm. Haven't seen anything like that. Could you not attach something to the underside of the rim of the helmet? i.e. a sticky Velcro type thingy ?

If I see anything I'll let you know. I want to see the crazy drivers of Leith!;)

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well, I ordered it, so we'll see.

Goo, Magna, the VIO goggle strap has a bit that'll do velcro to the underside of the helmet. Alternatively it wouldn't be hard to make something similar.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Aperitif said:
That rubber effort + strap with the DogCamSport camera is like a chinese puzzle - impossible and illogical...on a Giro Atmos in this instance. (Going off to beat the bracket now...:sad:)

It's really impossible to figure out, isn't it ? I wish they'd supply instructions and photos :angry: Didn't work on my Giro Havoc helmet either; it was a complete waste of money.

Write to DCS. Let them know you've had problems. You never know they might help, exhange, send instructions. :angry:

PrettyboyTim

Maybe you could design a fitting for your helmet and get it 3d printed at Shapeways. I noticed someone else there had made a motorbike helmet mount for a camera on there - I've been meaning to get a new peak for my helmet printed there as I've lost mine...

Top Bottom