Helmet light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I know its in the wrong section, but this is a commuter thing...so

Can any one recommend a good light for mounting on a helmet (circa £40)

Ideally I'd like it to;

Be lightweight
Have a good mount system
Be Bright
Have a wide spread of light (not too focused)

cheers

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I take it not to see with? (going by the not too focused comment)
How about some Knog Frog? Pretty good light, good mounting system.
I have them on my forks (you may have seen them the other day)

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I take it not to see with? (going by the not too focused comment)
How about some Knog Frog? Pretty good light, good mounting system.
I have them on my forks (you may have seen them the other day)

Yep, more to be seen with, I notice helmet lights a lot more than fixed position lights, plus they can be "directed" at traffic to make you more visable (hence the large spread of light)

those knogs, how do they mount (do you just use zip ties?)

BSRU, thanks but they wont fit my lid, as I ride with a peak, I need something more "surface mounted"

Zoiders

Alpkit Gamma, they are about £12 quid.

You can remove the straps and use thin elastic shock cord for mounting - I dont like cable ties on helmet liners and shells, it cuts into them which is not a good thing on something meant to break up.

I find the Knogg range to be over priced for what it is.

I'm using the poundland ones - a helmet light IMO is a supplementary one

They are same in (physical) design to these - http://www.jejamescy...ht-id47476.html - quick velcro tie through the vent

Pleasantly surprised by how much light they give out for a small single-LED unit

One of the rear ones is also fited here (not the armband ones that are the banks of 4 - also from Poundland!)
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcL37FwhsDM[/media]

Though not the best demonstration and masked somewhat by the other lights including a 1w Smart - its the single LED on the bar towards the right above the flashing ones

diapason

I never wear a Martlehat, but sometimes clip a Cateye hook-on bracket to the 'bar' at the back of my cycling cap and put a flashing LED on it. I get some strange looks if I go into a pub and forget to turn it off :wacko:

Jezston

Über Member
I have a Knog Frog mounted to my helmet - going to get a red one for the back too soon methinks.

Mount easily - have a little elastic strap you pull through and clip in the other side. They are small and don't stick out or wobble or anything.

Bright but not dazzling.

You turn them on and off and cycle through the 2 modes (constant, flashing) by pressing the front rather than fiddling for a button with gloves on.

Perfect.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Jonny, you've experienced my taste in lights. I'd get an Exposure Joystick. Quite a bit more than your budget, but it'll change the way cars deal with you just a little bit. Buy once, buy properly, and get huge effect.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
As mentioned up thread. The Alpkit Gamma. You can use it without a helmet or with helmet, Its absolutly fantastic. Beats all Pretszels for the money and the light it gives out is fantastic. It also has a red rear light that can go on flash mode

One main front white light. small white,red,green.

I dont think there is any better on the market for the money. If the is I love to know. And its only about £15

http://www.alpkit.com/colab/review-product/gamma

fizzler

Regular
Another voter for the exposure joystick.
You will have to spend slightly more than you budget, but you should be able to find a second hand one for a decent price.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I've got 4 of these lying about somewhere... I was going to strap these on my helmet; one forward facing, one backwards (with a red filter on it of course.) More than fit for purpose IMHO! Plus they were only £5 each over summer when they were selling camping gear off...

There are these at B&Q too (& they're cheaper than Tesco.)

Norm

I have a Knog Frog mounted to my helmet - going to get a red one for the back too soon methinks.

Mount easily - have a little elastic strap you pull through and clip in the other side. They are small and don't stick out or wobble or anything.

Bright but not dazzling.

You turn them on and off and cycle through the 2 modes (constant, flashing) by pressing the front rather than fiddling for a button with gloves on.

Perfect.

Jonny, you've experienced my taste in lights. I'd get an Exposure Joystick. Quite a bit more than your budget, but it'll change the way cars deal with you just a little bit. Buy once, buy properly, and get huge effect.
I've got 2 Frogs on my helmet (there is no right way to write that), one white and one red, which are turned on pretty much whenever I wear my helmet. I reckon they've done 1500+ miles and they are still on their original batteries.

I also have a Joystick with Micro RedEye on a head strap, although that does need charging fairly regularly. :biggrin:

Top Bottom