Helmet lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geo

Hi, anyone know if you can get lights that are specifically designed to fit to the back of a cycling helmet ? I think I've seen this type of thing on the road but dont know if its just something thats been adapted or if you can buy a helmet light kit. Any advice ?

Norm

Exposure Joystick with headband and RedEye Micro. About £160 for that lot but I reckon you will wonder how you ever rode without a helmet light. :thumbsup:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
If you want quality look at the exposure as Norm said. There are two rear lights on the exposure range that plug into the Joystick lamp. They are great in terms of brightness and quality of construct though some find them too bright to be that high up. The redeye (about 35 quid) can be seen in daylight.

A cheaper option is a Knog light. There are small, single red LED, silicon clamping lights in their range that are designed to fit on the back of a helmet. They flash and can do steady. £5 iirc

Tesco also do a small red light that can be fitted to a helmet. Its about £3 though isnt designed to be waterproof. I have used the white version on the front of the bike - used silicone sealant to waterproof it around the seams.

Not sure what they are like but came across these whilst looking for front lights. Helmet lights, busch & muller £19.99

http://www.magicshin...gory=6&p=1&so=0

some good kit on there...
000019_l1.jpg

bauldbairn

I've got a Bell Metropolitan Helmet that came with a Mars 3.0 rear light in the box - it has a loop on the back of the helmet for the light to fit. But I've just had a look on the CRC website and they don't appear to stock them any more. :sad:

Incidentally it also came with a rear view mirror that clips to the visor and a rain cover. ;)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you do get one of the stupidly bright lights, please don't wear it about town! I've been dazzled on more than one occasion (even in broad daylight) by one of these things - and being dazzled in the middle of Cheapside is not a nice experience.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
Ive got one of those "headlight" on a strap things that are used for camping/working on your car etc.

they cost around £15 from argos. never actually bought it for riding with buts its kinda been added to the kit draw.

it has 3 white light settings and one red setting. sits quite nice at the back of my helmet and when used at the front its good for being seen with.

cheap and cheerful plus its handy to have around the home :becool:

Davidc

Guru
Helmet lights - fine if you want them. BUT always remember that they are invisible to drivers, who can't see through the metal roofs of their cars!

Be seen - make sure you have bright lights at handlebar height (front) and top of fork height (rear).

Like most people on this forum I'm a cyclist and therefore very sensitive to cyclists when driving, nonetheless I've come much closer to several helmet light users than I like to, simply because in the dark they are almost completely invisible from the driving seat.

Helmet lights - fine if you want them. BUT always remember that they are invisible to drivers, who can't see through the metal roofs of their cars!

Be seen - make sure you have bright lights at handlebar height (front) and top of fork height (rear).

Like most people on this forum I'm a cyclist and therefore very sensitive to cyclists when driving, nonetheless I've come much closer to several helmet light users than I like to, simply because in the dark they are almost completely invisible from the driving seat.

There is a certain misconception about lights.....

Drivers should see the lights some several hundred or so yards before they get close enough for a helmet light to be invisible through the roof!

Norm

Shoot! How close does a cyclist have to be for their head to be above the windscreen?

Drivers should see the lights some several hundred or so yards before they get close enough for a helmet light to be invisible through the roof!
Indeed. IME, the cyclist's heads is still visible as the view of the rider goes out of the windscreen and into the side windows.

The only way that I can envisage the head to be invisible through the roof would be for the cyclist to be already in mid-air.

It’s all very well having these lights on helmets, but these helmets were tested without a light I wonder if having a light could cause more head/neck injuries ??
Not only but also having a light on your helmet may actually make the helmet more dangerous than riding without, as any impact may be focused on the light's mounting bracket, which often sits inside the helmet.

Which is exactly why I recommended the use of the headband with the Joystick. I think it's about a tenner but it mounts the light inside the line of the helmet above my right ear. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom