Helmet lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Any got any recommendations for a small, unobtrusive helmet light? It would be good to have a light that's useful for reading maps and signposts without having to lift the bike up!

BSRU

A Human Being
I have a Lenser H7, you can vary the position, the amount of power being used and whether spot or flood.

Christopher

Über Member
Petzl Tikka or similar? Some of them have enough strap for caving helmets so they should stretch to a bike helmet- whether they stay on though I dunno. I use a very small Tikka for night map reading but around my neck, not the cap or helmet.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A candle.
Melt a little bit first on to the helmet then stick the candle on.
I'm afraid you will have to go a little slower to stop the candle blowing out..

Sorry that's not much help is it... it's not very practical. Saves on batteries though.

OP
OP
coffeejo

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
A candle.

Sorry that's not much help is it... it's not very practical. Saves on batteries though.

Step away from the Jammie Dodgers...

BSRU

A Human Being
A candle.

A hurricane lamp cable tied to the helmet would solve the blowing out problem.

siadwell

Guru
I have a Varta 1 watt headlight from Amazon. Small and self-contained, bright and versatile (full power, half power and full power flash, plus white and red flip-in diffusers). The only real snag is that as it runs off 2AAs, runtime is limited.

Another alternative would be the Gamma from Alpkit. Not so small though, as it has a separate battery box.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A candle.

Dripping wax on the head? No thanks!

picked up a gamma headtorch from Alpkit that arrived yesterday - looks really rather good and for 12.50 the price is decent. Had a quick play with it and the light is seriously bright, with the added bonus of smaller leds in red green and white.

Will have a bit more of a play tonight to see how best to fit to the helmet - probably cable ties

link to store page

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Just bought an exposure joystick. Agree they are not cheap but what a fantastic light, wish I had bought one last year instead of struggling through the winter with "make-do" cheapies!

Paul

Zoiders

picked up a gamma headtorch from Alpkit that arrived yesterday - looks really rather good and for 12.50 the price is decent. Had a quick play with it and the light is seriously bright, with the added bonus of smaller leds in red green and white.

Will have a bit more of a play tonight to see how best to fit to the helmet - probably cable ties

link to store page
Visit the haberdashery at the market and purchase shock cord/elastic cord like you find in the hem of a fleece.

Also pick up some cheap cord lock toggles as well, I don't like the way cable ties cut into the foam inner of the helmet at all, I find shock cord offers a better and more adaptable fit, some adjustment when needed and it will also tear away better if you have a crash.

The open tabs on the Gamma allow you to remove the straps as well.

Here is one I prepared earlier with a similar light

DSCF0534.jpg

DSCF0532.jpg

DSCF0535.jpg

DSCF0539.jpg

DSCF0529.jpg

Alun

Guru
Without wanting to turn this into yet another helmet debate, you might give a thought to what could happen in the event of an accident. Would the function of the helmet be compromised by a the mounting of a light or a camera? The same goes for a multitool in a jersey pocket I suppose !

Top Bottom