Helmet or no helmet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Unless you believe in God
wink.gif

Which one ? :angel:

battered

Guru
Radio 4 NOW, 13.30 pm Fri, More or Less, the maths and stats programme, a review of the stats surrounding bike helmet wearing. I'm tuned in and listening. There's some other stuff forst.:thumbsup:

battered

Guru
If you mised this I wouldn't rush to get it on iPlayer. It's pretty short.

Key points
- an academic study showed drivers pass closer to helmeted riders
- drivers give women more room
- evidence that helmeted riders behave differently to non helmeted riders is mixed, not supported by the academic they interviewed.
- No records are available as to whether or not fatally injured riders brought to hospital were helmeted
- Of 100 dead cyclists the info that 10 to 16 would have survived had they been wearing a helmet is based on assumptions about helmet effectivemess.

StuartG

slower but further
Yes, caught the end of it. I had presumed there had been much more, but obviously not.
The conclusion is surely no one has a clue. I don't!!!

I only criticise those who think they do .... and don't
wink.gif

Sam Kennedy

Yet another helmet thread...
How many pages will it have to go on this time before it is locked? :rolleyes:

tyred

Legendary Member
My cycle helmet saved my life once. I was being attacked by a raging lion and I hit it over the head with my helmet.

vorsprung

Veteran
My cycle helmet saved my life once. I was being attacked by a raging lion and I hit it over the head with my helmet.

I was attacked by the buzzard on the Hatherleigh/ Holdsworthy road a few times. Cycle helmets are fairly effective against birds of prey. The first time it happened (3 moors 300km audax 2004) about a dozen people were attacked. A lot of the non helmet wearers were injured and at least one person went to hospital. One helmet wearer was also injured, they got hit on the neck.

In 2005 on another event I was attacked again, that time a guy ahead of me was attacked. The buzzard took his buff, with no harm done to the rider. The buzzard must have found the buff inedible as it dropped it in the road. A later rider recovered the buff and returned it to the guy, complete with buzzard shoot

jayonabike