Helmet standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For those who do wear helmets, what standards if any do you insist they comply with, if I wear one then I ensure it is at least CE-EN-1078 certified as I consider it to be the best set of tests currently in use, am I the only one that looks at things like this or do others as well?

PpPete

Legendary Member
On what basis do you consider those to best set of test in use ?
Why are they better than, for example, the Snell tests used in the USA ?

OP
OP
Riding in Circles
Do your own research, I am not trying to advocate it as a benchmark, just interested to know if people take anything like this in consideration when buying a helmet or if they buy it based on other criteria, like they think it makes them look badass.

PpPete

Legendary Member
My own (limited) research suggests the EN1078 is not a particularly difficult standard to meet. Even £6 jobbies from Lidl can manage it. I've read (but cannot prove) that the Snell standards may be tougher, and that helmets certified to Snell standards may provide more protection. I'm just interested in why you think EN 1078 is the best set of tests around. I only ask the question in the spirit of adding to my knowledge ... not to be confrontational (even though that is the norm in this part of the forum).

OP
OP
Riding in Circles
The CE-EN-1078 certification seems about equal to Snell in my research, but there are hardly any new helmets being submitted for Snell certification these days hence why I don't use Snell as a current benchmark, the CE-EN-1078 tests covers very similar criteria, the helmet I currently use is also certified to CE-EN-12492 and CE-EN-1385 as it is a multi use helmet, I consider this to be a good indication of quality.

There are a whole range of tests from helmets dropped onto different shaped anvils, to using different forces in he drop. Some test straps, and retention, others don't

Equally some allow manufacturers to provide batches specifically for testing, so you can get an approval for he helmet from ten testing of the prototype. Others such as Snell test off the shelf helmets - the same as you or I will wear

The problem with Snell is that companies have to pay (IIRC) and hence whilst EN1078, CPSC etc are required for sale, Snell is not, so only Specialized really invest. Personally I would depend on Snell, but that is entirely my opinion and no more or less valid than anyone else's

One interesting point is that ten years ago Snell B95 was considered the best but there are no longer any helmets that meet this

Technically some tests are better than others......

Testing on a kerb shaped anvil is a better predictor of an impact with a kerb than testing on a round anvil for instance. Equally testing with a greater force is going to prove more strength in the design and better protection in an impact

However as there are tricks such as taping the helmet in place he true answers will never be known as to whether the tests reflect real life.

Anecdotally EN 1078 is no longer accepted in the US for racing or Triathlons and Snell B 90 is the toughest to pass.

If you are really sad and want to research what is involved look at Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute It is a US site, but their description of the various tests is excellent

.... And you may want to Google "Trek Anthem C recall"

This was a helmet that was on the US market with full tested accreditation

It was then independently tested by a Consumer organisation and failed EVERY SINGLE TEST

Hence the recall.... So even tested helmets may not work!

OP
OP
Riding in Circles
If you are really sad and want to research what is involved look at Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute It is a US site, but their description of the various tests is excellent

You know someone will do this now don't you.

I rarely wear one as well but when I do I like to have one that is at least likely to benefit me in the event of an off.

In that case buy yourself a Snell certified Specialized helmet. Compared to the Snell B95 standard, the EN-1078 is much much weaker. For example the test criteria are:

Flat surface impact

Snell: 110J
EN: 46J (S); 69J (M); 90J (L)

Kerbstone Anvil impact

Snell: 72J
EN: 35J (S); 49J (M); 64J (L)

No of impacts per helmet in tests

Snell: 4
EN: 2

Total impact energy per helmet in tests

Snell: 326Jmin) - 364J (max)
EN: 81J (min) - 154J (max)

Quite how your research can have decided they are equivalent or that EN 1078 is the best available is beyond me. When a range of EN certified helmets were tested for Which in 1998, many were totally unable to pass the Snell test (and some didn't even pass the EN test)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom