Helmets abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaddyPaddey

I have just been in Normandy for the week on the Scorpion for the club annual Winedown. Several members commented I was not wearing a helmet, so I said "three wheels, not necessary". However the French do seem to have their own peculiarities [such as reflective jackets] so I wondered whether helmets were compulsory on pedal transport. Anyone know?

Drago

Legendary Member
In France? No.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Dublin yes, along with Hi-Vis & mandatory cycle lane usage.
No they aren't.

Helmets and high vis clothing
Despite the misconceptions of some people, cyclists are not required by law to wear helmets or high visibility clothing. The rules of the road suggest you should use them, but there is no legal requirement.
http://dublinbikeblog.com/understanding/cycling-and-the-law-in-ireland/

[edit] - The mandatory cycle path use was repealed in 2012

Observations of cyclists in Dublin back in July was that they looked very similar to British city cyclists. Some wore helmets, some* didn't. Most were in normal clothes. I think I saw one commuter in a high viz vest.

*I'd suggest most, but I could be a little subjective being pro-choice myself.

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Which "rules of the road" suggest people should wear them? Is it a rule or a suggestion?
The Rules of the Road is the name of the the Irish equivelent to the Highway code. They have the same distinction as we do that if the rule is backed up by law then you get a 'must' in the rule. The helmet rule doesn't have that.

As someone who doesn't normally tour in a lid, and as I was riding with someone who has a neck injury* that makes wearing a helmet difficult for any distance, I checked this before we went.

*Caused by being hit by a car, while she was wearing a helmet

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Helmet discussion? 'Dons body armour and starts defensive manoeuvres'

Moderator edit: Since someone has brought this up - this thread is only about legal requirements for wearing helmets, not about the merits or otherwise of wearing them.

Last edited by a moderator:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I have just been in Normandy for the week on the Scorpion for the club annual Winedown. Several members commented I was not wearing a helmet, so I said "three wheels, not necessary". However the French do seem to have their own peculiarities [such as reflective jackets] so I wondered whether helmets were compulsory on pedal transport. Anyone know?
In France? No.

starhawk

"Three wheels, not necessary" doesn't hold water, what if you are hit from the side?
Here in Sweden we have a law that children up to 15 has to wear an approved helmet. A proposal to extend the law to include adult pops up every now and then. I wear a helmet, better safe then sorrow.

Alex H

Legendary Member

Only if you're 12 years old or younger :okay:

OP
OP
DaddyPaddey

DaddyPaddey

I was interested that's all.The Scorpion is a 3 wheel 'bent so felt happy being helmet free. On my Upwrongs, and 2 wheel bent, I prefer to use the helmet as it has saved me on two occasions. One big off resulted in split helmet, and cut head.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I would not profess to be a "touring cyclist", but, I do cycle quite frequently in Europe (France, Spain, Germany, Luxembourg), since I use a bicycle as transport when my campervan is "parked up". I am not sure of the legal situation, but, my general observation is that the Brits are the most likely to wear helmets, for "casual" cycling, the rest of our European Cousins appear to wear them for on-road cycling with road bikes, but, otherwise (generally) not.

Top Bottom