Helmets from the AA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

I see the AA are handing out free helmets and hi-viz vests at a couple of locations in London today. I also see the anti helmet brigade are criticising the AA for this initiative on the grounds that cyclists shouldn't have to take responsibility for making themselves visible to other road users who should be taking sufficient care on the road to be able to see what's in front of them. Personally I think both halves of that sentence should apply. I'm sure that the helmets are better than my Argos cheapie and if I was in the area of the handouts I would be glad to have a better quality free one and frankly I couldn't care less what the CTC anoraks say about it.

Story here

Dan B

Disengaged member
Sorry, but it shouldn't be necessary to wear a hi-vis vest to make oneself visible to other road users. They can see cars, kerbs, road signs, street names, pedestrians all without the help of a flappy yellow overcoat: why should cyclists be any different?

spen666

Legendary Member
Sorry, but it shouldn't be necessary to wear a hi-vis vest to make oneself visible to other road users. They can see cars, kerbs, road signs, street names, pedestrians all without the help of a flappy yellow overcoat: why should cyclists be any different?

It shouldn't be necessary to have locks on your house, or to lock your bike up when leaving it. It shouldn't be necessary for women to take steps to ensure their safety when out at night etc

Welcome to the real world though

Dan B

Disengaged member
It shouldn't be necessary to have locks on your house, or to lock your bike up when leaving it. It shouldn't be necessary for women to take steps to ensure their safety when out at night etc

But given that it is, if groups associated with burglars were to start giving out free locks, or the friends and family of rapists giving out rape alarms, you wouldn't see why some people find that ... distasteful?

The analogy kind of breaks down in that burglars and muggers don't have easily identifiable support groups, whereas inattentive drivers and serial motor-assisted lawbreakers with the necessary dosh to spring for AA membership will be entirely welcome there. Let's not forget that the organisation was originally founded to warn motorists of speed traps on their journeys.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It shouldn't be encouraged; how long before flouro vests become compulsory for cyclists like they are on factory premises and building sites?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[/size]

But given that it is, if groups associated with burglars were to start giving out free locks, or the friends and family of rapists giving out rape alarms, you wouldn't see why some people find that ... distasteful?

The analogy kind of breaks down in that burglars and muggers don't have easily identifiable support groups, whereas inattentive drivers and serial motor-assisted lawbreakers with the necessary dosh to spring for AA membership will be entirely welcome there. Let's not forget that the organisation was originally founded to warn motorists of speed traps on their journeys.

Perhaps the AA could diversify...

the snail

Guru
It shouldn't be necessary for women to take steps to ensure their safety when out at night etc

you mean by restricting where and when they go out, not wearing the wrong clothes? Like cyclists I suppose.
Perhaps instead the AA should hand out free eye-test vouchers for drivers, or copies of the highway code, or paint their cars dayglo colours...

Rebel Ian

I'm assuming that the AA were handing them out to those that were happy to accept them not forcing them upon everyone willing or otherwise.

Yes cars drivers should be able to spot me irrespective of whether I wear a hi-vis or not but hey, if I can help them by making myself a bit more visible it might just perhaps do me a favour. Same reason when I ride my motorbike I always have lights on.

People are trying to blow this up into something it isn't.

Paco de Bango

It shouldn't be encouraged; how long before flouro vests become compulsory for cyclists like they are on factory premises and building sites?

I wouldn't of thought anytime soon. The reason you have to wear hi viz on building sites is because your employer is responsible for your safety, on the roads you're responsible for your own safety.

Employers of cycle couriers could well start insisting on it though

byegad

Legendary Member
Great move by the AA. Make cycling look dangerous by dolling out a freebie. I'm sick of saying this but here it comes again.

Cycling is not dangerous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom