Helmets; The Paramedics View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cycle helmets are designed and tested to offer some protection in low speed impacts.
I don't agree that they are designed for falling off a stationary bike, what would be the point of that?
I assume that you mean that a standard cycle helmet is no good at all at speeds of 25mph? How do you know if they are not tested under those conditions?
I'm assuming they are built to the standard. If it's an EN 1078 standard helmet, then in the requirement is the for the velocity of impact is "Europe: Requires velocity sensor within 60 mm of impact accurate to 1 per cent. Velocity of headform must be equivalent to a drop height of 1.49 to 1.51 m. "

That's the height of a head on a bicycle.

I don't agree that they are designed for falling off a stationary bike, what would be the point of that?

Well, that's the question. Read the standards and see if you have an answer. I don't.

Sara_H

Guru
I've fallen off my bike far more often while it's stationary than I ever have while it's moving
Me too, but I always land on my bum. Can't wear a helmet on your bum, though OH has suggested kevlar trousers (seriously) since we both gt nasty leg grazes when we had crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom