Helmets to become compulsory in Northern Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barnesy

In northern ireland an MP along with an orginastion called Headway are trying to pass a bill making it compulsory for cyclists to wear helmets or face a £50 fine.

I think this seems to be aimed at parents to make their children wear helmets. Can you really see the police stopping a child who is playing in the street on a bike and taking them home to collect money from the parent?

Im undecided on the helmet debate, i always wear one but its a force of habit, I had a 30mph crash on a quad bike once while not wearing a helmet and ended up in hospital with a fairly serious concussion and memory loss.

I think it would put people off cycling if you were to fine them for not having a helmet.

The law is still in its early days yet but could become a reality.

"A piece of primary legislation has been put before the Northern Ireland Assembly that, if enacted into law, would require cyclists of all ages to wear a cycle helmet when cycling on a road or other public place. Those caught riding without a helmet would face a fixed penalty charge of £50.The Cyclists (Protective Headgear) Bill NIA Bill 9/10 (sponsored by Pat Ramsey(SDLP) MLA, chair of the All-Party Group on Road Safety) is, as these laws go, exceptionally moderate. Only police officers can enforce the provisions, punishments are limited to fixed penalty charges (ie: no criminal records), first-time offenders can be excused if they produce a suitable helmet within seven days and there is an appeals process for special cases. There is also a three year implementation delay and a requirement to raise public awareness of the issue and the legislation during that period."

Some further reading on this proposal:

Blog from Rain Miles Count Double

Article from cycling weekly

What do you guys think?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
What do you guys think?

[/quote]

It's a load of bollox from the do gooding nimby society who clearly have too much time on their hands

Dan B

Disengaged member
As I understand it, Private Members bills in Westminster very rarely become law. Is this different in NI?

That said, it's a daft idea and I'd support any campaign to make sure it doesn't pass. Not sure what I can do when I'm not living in NI,though, cos writing to my MP is unlikely to make any difference

asterix

Comrade Member
@%$!*(E%%

I'd just written a scintillating reply to this thread when it was moved to here - very appropriately.

That's all I'm gonna say, the rest is lost to posterity (luckily for posterity).

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I think everybody should wear a helmet
hide.gif

TrevorM

Looks unlikely. The minister responsible has already said he 'is not minded' to support the proposal.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I had my first cycling accident on the roads of NI aged about 9 ... and no I wasn't wearing a helmet ... nor was I with an adult ... just my slightly older cousin (we'd absconded from their farm...). I thought I would get away with my parents not finding out ... but of course I had to pick someone's car to fall in front of, that went to school with my Mum!!!

I'm totally against this proposal ... apart from anything it will get my aunts on my back about whether I wear a helmet - which mostly I do.

Dan B

Disengaged member
You can refuse to donate to the H*****y charity if asked
I look forward to being asked, then.

I note that (assuming we're talking about the same outfit, anyway) their web site home page has a competition to win a car. I find this slightly ironic, even if only in a post-morisette way

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1268383"]
I've worked with Headway a fair bit. They're an excellent organisation. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.
[/quote]
I agree, but given the chance I would tell them their helmet policy partly negates their good works in other directions.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom