Helmets & trains In spain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Seen a few posts about these topics so thought I'd share my recent experiences.

Trains, the Renfe local and regional medium distance trains all take cycles at no extra charge. All trains will have doors with a cycle logo, these doors are your preferred entrance point. The carriage floor here (on most trains) will be lower and you will be able to wheel your bike directly into the carriage as the doors open to platform level. You'll find good space to stand sit and tether your bike, here's mine.

Train1.jpg

I say preferred because there is one problem, if you the train is late, or it's a particulary long train you may only have seconds to find the designated bike door, once the warning beeps start, forget it, the doors will shut in 2/3 seconds, I know this. The good news is that the space within every door entrance is large enough to accomodate 2 bikes without too much hassle, you may have to move them around as people come and go but unless it's rush hour in, say, Barcelona you'll be fine. Nobody cares, neither passengers or employees that you have not used the "cycle" access points, don't worrry.

I am a non-helmet wearer, I've cycled Andalucia and Asturias within the past 3 years and was blissfully ignorant of the fact that in certain circumstance helmet wearing is obligatory until I saw a post on here. On those 2 trips I often asked policemen for directions, including the Guardia Civil who's job it is to enforce that law. Not once was I asked to wear or produce a helmet. This year was different, I was cycling in Catalonia and was told that the law was enforced there. Still, I decided not to wear one or buy one to hang on the rack. This time I went out of my way to ask police for directions. Same result, from Girona to Tarragona via Barcelona not once was the lack of a helmet mentioned.

barnesy

Im thinking of touring spain next year and ive vaguely herd of this helmet law. What is the possibility if you are stopped and cant produce one? Can they stop you going any further?

I always wear a helmet but my current one isnt well ventilated and it may get a little hot under the spanish sun so i was thinking of riding with it clipped to the pannier if i feel comfortable not wearing it

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I am a non-helmet wearer, if I was a helmet wearer (like you) then it'd make sense to take it and strap to your rack if you get too hot, bingo!

The Guardia Civil can, remove and keep your front wheel till you procure a helmet, but as per my previous comments, in reality, it's not important to them, you would have to be incredibly unlucky and meet a particularly pedantic cop in a seriously bad mood to have any trouble.

BTW even the North, Catalonia was 26/28c and humid, every day I was there, well into September, sweat poured off me on the hills.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
My impression has been that helmets are only likely to be enforced if you look like a racing cyclist, and that if you've got touring luggage you will probably be OK. Going on a spring training camp in Majorca or Lanzarote is probably different. The front wheel confiscation incident was in Majorca just after the law came in.
I have taken a helmet the last few trips, but it's spent 95% of the time bungied onto the rack.

jay clock

Massive member
Interesting take on the law - if there is a law you don't like, ignore it. Are you happy of motorists ignore laws like mobile phone usage, drink driving etc.?

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Interesting take on the law - if there is a law you don't like, ignore it. Are you happy of motorists ignore laws like mobile phone usage, drink driving etc.?

Did you read my first post? For my first 2 trips I didn't even know there was a law regarding cycle helmet use in Spain. Knowing that this (vague) law is not (IMO) implemented, then, yes, I am happy to ignore it. The post was made to provide information, no more.

Happy to contribute to another thread somewhere else if you'd like to start one?

It's a daft, inconsistent law in any case. See http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1076.html. It doesn't apply in towns, or when it's hot, or when going uphill. So the only time you need to wear one is on the flat or downhill out of town. If you get stopped by the police careering down a hill, I suppose you could always turn the bike around and start pedalling uphill and suddenly you are legal again. It's silly.

And your comparison is not really fair. Using a mobile phone or drink driving could hurt others. If I'm daft enough not to wear a helmet (and I am) then it's only me that's going to get hurt. It's the risk I take for a cool head.

I've lived in Spain for years, never wear a helmet, frequently see the police and have never been stopped. It took 'em decades to clamp down on motorcyclists without helmets, and you still see the odd one or two. I think cyclists are safe for a while (at least here in Andalucia).

That said, when doing a tour, I strap a helmet to the rack just in case.

andym

Über Member
Getting back to the subject of trains. On many of the RENFE medium-diatance trains the number of spaces for bikes is limited and you need a ticket for your bike. The tickets are free but you need one (although as with all things in life, you may get awy withiut one). If you have to change trains you may need a bike ticket for each leg.

I toured for two months through Andalucia wearimg a helmet everyday even in temperatures in the 30s. Simple, safe, sensible, legal.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I toured for two months through Andalucia wearimg a helmet everyday even in temperatures in the 30s. Simple, safe, sensible, legal.

I am pleased for you, however, I prefer not to wear one (I am such a rebel) and other non-helmet wearers, wondering about the implementation of the law in Spain, now need not worry too much, and not at all if they decide to take a helmet and strap it to their bike.

ThePainInSpain

The wearing of a cycle helmet in Spain whilst 'Driving a Bicycle' on an interurban route is mandatory.

UNLESS :
You are in an urban area
You are going uphill
It is very hot
For medical reasons.

Yes folks, this is the law................well it is Spain, what can you expect !

andrew_s

Legendary Member
OP was a comment on the non-enforcement of the law rather than a recommendation, a bit like saying on some foreign forum that in the UK you are OK to ride at night so long as you look like you've got lights, and that there's no need to bother with the niceties of BS approved pedal reflectors or what model of lights you use.

ThePainInSpain

OP was a comment on the non-enforcement of the law rather than a recommendation, a bit like saying on some foreign forum that in the UK you are OK to ride at night so long as you look like you've got lights, and that there's no need to bother with the niceties of BS approved pedal reflectors or what model of lights you use.

I have now lived in Andalucia, Southern Spain for the past 10 years, and laws change almost from month to month. Unlike the UK there are several layers of lawmakers and it seems that none talk to the other and you end up with a complete mess. There is the National Government, The Autonomous Regions (note the name) and then the Municipalities within the regions and the towns and villages within the Municipalities, all making their own laws. Often these can actually contradict each other.

It's best to comply with the traffic laws, because they are enforced by the Guardia Civil, and they can get a bit nasty.

A lot of the others can be got around dependent upon the size of the brown envelope.

I'm curious as to how strictly enforced it is in majorca if you are a lycra wearing roadie. I wouldn't be too bothered about a fine, but I would rather not have my "front wheel confiscated".
I went to majorca recently and didn't wear a helmet, apart from the first day, after which I realised just how hot it was and didn't bother with it. If you are allowed to not wear it when it's "hot", does that mean you are allowed to go helmetless all the time?

However I'm not sure whether the fact I didn't get my collar felt is because I didn't encounter a policeman who'd got out of bed the wrong side (although i did see some "la gardia", not sure whether they were the right type of police though, I'm vaguely conscious there are two types of police on the continent, local and national?)
It's quite bad that spain has brought in a helmet law but you have got to remember that in many respects they are still fairly third world country compared to say britain.

Top Bottom