Helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buzzy bee

Hi

I had a rather nasty accident on friday evening, which has made me decide to get a helmet, but I want a good one, don't mind spending the money, but don't want one for having a fancy name, one that will save my life is what I want.

I think I may be pushing my luck if I have another fall without a helmet, only just got out of hospital today.

Cheers

Dave

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
i use a spiuk helmet, been good for the last few years

well worth looking at

yello

I suggest you visit a bike store and try some on. Fit is everything if you want the helmet to be of any use and, as we all have different shaped heads, recommendations here are of limited use.

OP
OP
buzzy bee

buzzy bee

Hi

I will go to a bike shop, and will try lots on, once my head is back to normal, but I don't want to be buying a helmet as stated above that is dear due to having a fancy name on. I want one that is safe.

Do helmets have ratings like motorcycle helmets and most other safety eqipment does. Do the ones offering more protection, or protection to a higher level having a different number to the entry model etc?

Recomendations on makes and models will be of use to me, then I can go and pick between these at a shop maybe.

Cheers

Dave

yello

If it's a decent bike shop then all the helmets that it stocks will have passed whatever safety legislation and regulations. You could pick the cheapest one (that fits) confident that it'll be as safe as the most expensive one. Price differentials are more to do with comfort and features of a helmet rather than relative safety features.

But I can tell you which one to buy if that's what you want. :smile:

Will1985

Über Member
Safe is a fairly broad term. Helmets sold in the UK only have to conform to EN1078, which in the scheme of things is a basic standard. Further up the scale, search the net for CPSC approved helmets (a better US standard), and then Snell above that.

AFAIK you can't go wrong with Specialized as they are all Snell approved. But as already mentioned, it is more important to ensure that there is a good fit.

Helmets cost pennies to produce - you are paying for the name and more importantly the R&D which has been invested to create something durable, light, and not too hot for the head.

OP
OP
buzzy bee

buzzy bee

Sittingduck said:
Sorry to hear about your accident Buzzy Bee. Hope you make a speedy recovery!

SD

Thanks, I am alot better that I was 24 hours ago, but time will be the thing on this one I think

Cheers

Dave

OP
OP
buzzy bee

buzzy bee

Will1985 said:
Safe is a fairly broad term. Helmets sold in the UK only have to conform to EN1078, which in the scheme of things is a basic standard. Further up the scale, search the net for CPSC approved helmets (a better US standard), and then Snell above that.

AFAIK you can't go wrong with Specialized as they are all Snell approved. But as already mentioned, it is more important to ensure that there is a good fit.

Helmets cost pennies to produce - you are paying for the name and more importantly the R&D which has been invested to create something durable, light, and not too hot for the head.

Hi

This is what I was looking for, different standards, now I can have a look knowing a little about the standards that are available.

Cheers

Dave

OP
OP
buzzy bee

buzzy bee

yello said:
If it's a decent bike shop then all the helmets that it stocks will have passed whatever safety legislation and regulations. You could pick the cheapest one (that fits) confident that it'll be as safe as the most expensive one. Price differentials are more to do with comfort and features of a helmet rather than relative safety features.

But I can tell you which one to buy if that's what you want. :smile:

Hi

I would love to know the helmet you use?

Cheers

Dave

yello

I wear a Giro Atmos, but it wouldn't fit all head shapes. Some people really don't get on with Giro. It really is best to try for yourself.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There are remarkably few still available that meet the Snell standard.

I'd say a whole rethink is needed; what about a plastically deformable metal mesh over a plastic supporting cage? Ventilation would be pretty much perfect, it would be obvious when the thing was damaged and it wouldn't deteriorate with age.

I suppose it costs next to nothing to make an expanded polystyrene helmet which is sold for £150, though, so it's a good game to be in :biggrin:

That is because the standards have been "dumbed down"

The problem is that as vents are added there is less material to absorb impact and the remaining material needs to be tougher to compensate. Modern helmets are less effective than those of say ten years ago.

There is also the argument whether the tests should be carried out on "off the shelf" as opposed to test batches manafactured for the purpose.

The answer is not popular..... we need to have less ventilation, smoother surfaces and fewer "snag points"

Headway the charity have now set the barriers higher by usingthe British Dental Association as references. The paper they quote to justify helmet use contains the conclusion...

The dental profession could: play an active role in promoting cycle helmet use; support calls for the compulsory wearing of cycling helmets, particularly for children; press for modification of helmet design and standards to increase protection of the face.

So Headway for one now requires full face?

Top Bottom