helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't see why not.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
^^ Probably because he's bought a Ski helmet before, and doesn't want to shell out another 50 - 70 quid on a cycling specific one?

OP: I'm not sure. Cycling helmets are tested against different standards, a concrete "kerb" is one test that ski helmets don't face. A concrete street is quite a different threat to a packed piste.

Being both a skiier and a cyclist, I would RATHER have a helmet specific to each pursuit. But I appreciate that money is a factor, and it can be too dear to allow for both. In that case, I guess one is FAR better than nothing, but the specific design should be the target.

PpPete

Legendary Member
cycle helmets prioritise maximum ventilation. ski helmest with even small amount of ventilation are "draughty" on the slopes. using a ski helmet as cycle helmet would be a quick way to boil your brain

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
^^ Probably because he's bought a Ski helmet before, and doesn't want to shell out another 50 - 70 quid on a cycling specific one?

OP: I'm not sure. Cycling helmets are tested against different standards, a concrete "kerb" is one test that ski helmets don't face. A concrete street is quite a different threat to a packed piste.

Being both a skiier and a cyclist, I would RATHER have a helmet specific to each pursuit. But I appreciate that money is a factor, and it can be too dear to allow for both. In that case, I guess one is FAR better than nothing, but the specific design should be the target.

As a skier and a bicycle rider, I have never seen the need for a helmet in either pursuit, nor have I ever suffer a head injury as a result of either activity, although I have fallen doing both (skiing more often than cycling). Personally I feel that a helmet is a waste of money for either activity (unless you are planning to go to the far extremes), but that is just me, if you want to spend the money, that is up to you :shrug:

cycle helmets prioritise maximum ventilation. ski helmest with even small amount of ventilation are "draughty" on the slopes. using a ski helmet as cycle helmet would be a quick way to boil your brain

.. and increase the chances of it staying on your head!

snailracer

Über Member
Check that the ski helmet does not limit your peripheral vision or ability to look over your shoulder.

It would be massively self-defeating to trade a minor graze to your head for a collision with a car/bus/lorry.

Liveaxle

As a skier and a bicycle rider, I have never seen the need for a helmet in either pursuit, nor have I ever suffer a head injury as a result of either activity, although I have fallen doing both (skiing more often than cycling). Personally I feel that a helmet is a waste of money for either activity (unless you are planning to go to the far extremes), but that is just me, if you want to spend the money, that is up to you :shrug:

It's your choice but if I hadn't been wearing one on sunday when I came off on a slippery road I doubt I would be sittting here typing this...... as to the OP's question I would stick to the right helmet for the specific sport, ones noggin can be easily damaged.

It's your choice but if I hadn't been wearing one on sunday when I came off on a slippery road I doubt I would be sittting here typing this...... as to the OP's question I would stick to the right helmet for the specific sport, ones noggin can be easily damaged.

...or you could have chosen a recumbent trike with snow tyres and not come off at all!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

Really? How did we survive 3 million years of evolution without helmets? Head injury is more frequent in pedestrians than cyclist, yet no one said we should all be wearing walking helmets. Just look ahead when riding and ride according to the conditions.

som3blok3

I didn't wear a helmet for some 20 years on my bike, never saw the need.

Then, as a snowboarder/cyclist/longboarder/skateboarder/adult/father (progession through the years) and now back on a fast bike hitting 25-30mph on my daily commute (downhill), I would say put anything on your head, as long as it gives you some protection.

There are some horror stories out there from people that have stacked on many modes of transport with wheels, this was the one that made me wear my snow/skate helmet for the first time on my bike 12 months ago http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2010/apr/21/cover/

He chose to ride his longboard after putting his bike down, I guess some will say 'should have stuck to the bike'.... I say, you never know what's around the corner.

Last summer I hung up the snow helmet (hot head syndrome) and now wear a 'proper' bike helmet, took few days to get over the self awareness issue but now, I'd never go back.

A ski helmet is cool, although come summer it'll be toooo damn hot!!!!

Top Bottom