Help choosing a new hybrid/trecking bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edwarrj1

Hi everybody.

I haven't cycled properly for a while, but I have recently moved back to Brum and want to get back into it as Brum is quite a nice place to ride a bike as I remember it.

I am soon going to buy a new bike and have been to Scotts in Hall Green. They sell Ridgeback and Dawes bikes, so I have had a look at the ranges and have narrowed my choice down to the following 4 bikes:

Dawes:
Sahara Gents bike
Discovery 201eq Gents

Ridgeback:
Rapide Motion
Rapide Speed

I would definitely want mudguards, so wonder if it is better to go up to the price of the Speed or buy the Motion and then get a pannier rack and mudguards fitted by Scotts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

jackthelad

If you could spend a little more the ridgeback supernova, is a well spec bike,I am waiting until about Oct when the price will be nearer £500,This bike covers all bases, A light tourer with marathon plus tyres, or a light fast road hybrid with 25c tyres for commuting,and with mountain bike gearing will basically go anywhere,takes mudguards and rack front and rear and weights only 23lbs,it has got to be close to a do it all bike.Full deore gearing and brakes with strong wheels that will go anywhere

OP
OP
E

edwarrj1

If you could spend a little more the ridgeback supernova, is a well spec bike,I am waiting until about Oct when the price will be nearer £500,This bike covers all bases, A light tourer with marathon plus tyres, or a light fast road hybrid with 25c tyres for commuting,and with mountain bike gearing will basically go anywhere,takes mudguards and rack front and rear and weights only 23lbs,it has got to be close to a do it all bike.Full deore gearing and brakes with strong wheels that will go anywhere

Many thanks jackthelad, but there is no way I could stretch to a supernova. It does look like a very nice bike though :biggrin:

Ridgeback all day long. Great bikes, great value.

Dawes are selling through the Automobile Association's website now. If I had any respect left for them as a brand it just evaporated.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I know two people with Discovery 201s of different vintages and both are very happy with them. It's a good solid bike that doesn't seem to go wrong very often.

I would choose one of the aluminium ones over the hi-ten steel ones as it will be lighter, and the discovery is a perfectly reasonable spec.

Mickle, tell me the Dawes Century SE isn't a good bike :biggrin:

century-11.jpg

Top Bottom