Help choosing a new hybrid/trecking bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edwarrj1

Hi everybody.

I haven't cycled properly for a while, but I have recently moved back to Brum and want to get back into it as Brum is quite a nice place to ride a bike as I remember it.

I am soon going to buy a new bike and have been to Scotts in Hall Green. They sell Ridgeback and Dawes bikes, so I have had a look at the ranges and have narrowed my choice down to the following 4 bikes:

Dawes:
Sahara Gents bike
Discovery 201eq Gents

Ridgeback:
Rapide Motion
Rapide Speed

I would definitely want mudguards, so wonder if it is better to go up to the price of the Speed or buy the Motion and then get a pannier rack and mudguards fitted by Scotts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
modern bikes are so well put together that I'd not worry overmuch about the specification. Why not ask Scotts to let you have a bit of a test ride on each of them? You'll learn more through your hands, feet and backside in minutes than we can ever tell you.

I'd not bother with the suspension upgrade unless you're going to go across country, and I'd see if you could get Scotts to swap out the pedals for something like these http://www.bunneysbi...d-Pedals-Silver which offer a clipless side and a flat side. ('Clipless' meaning that they have little holders that you can slot those odd bitbobs on the bottom of your shoes in to, making for a smoother, more relaxed ride) you'll have a bit of flexibility as you become more comfortable on the bike.

Top Bottom