Help ID old reynolds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
I'd say that is a 531. It matches all the features I know about the 531 I know. A 58cm frame should weigh 1.8 k

Zoiders

It's a 56cm frame.

While it's most likely 4130 steel of some type the lugs just dont say "Reynolds 531" to me as they are rather plain and agricultural looking, the BB shell looks like a lump of scaffold pipe with some braze ons tacked onto it, a lot of frames were resprayed or rebadged by shops as their own brand and had "531" stickers slapped on them when many in fact were not butted 531 at all. What's also unusual is the fact that it takes 700's and has no braze on's for down tube levers.

It also seems to have an old Campag BB in it which suggests Italian thread yet it has the Shimano drop outs, a very odd mixture.

porteous

Veteran
The Shimano drop outs and Galli gears would put it between 1975 and 1985 by the look of them ( http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Galli_derailleurs.html ). They were not top end parts, but then neither were most of the bits on good Raleighs, Carltons Dawes, etc etc. Probably Italian??? If you like the frame then rebuild and enjoy. If you can make my first link work then the Reynolds decal (If original) will help with the dating

Kahuczek

That's just the sort of frame a lot of us bought for winter training back in the mid 1980's, light, lively but with eyes and clearances for fitting mudguards, looks a bit like a Gazelle....

I 'd say almost definitly made of 531 tubing, look at the delicate seat stay points, the long spear point on the top tube lugs, Shimano forged drop outs, decent fork crown, good, if not top quality fittings, that were rarely mixed with cheap tubing (unless it's Italian, which isn't likely, I don't know of an Italian builder that used Shimano fittings back then)

As for not having gear lever bosses, frames built as winter trainers often didn't as many would be built with a fixed wheel, (the gear hanger was just there to give you an option).
Some builders didn't fit braze on gear bosses anyway to keep the frame as strong as possible. ( IIRC Mercx would not have braze on lever bosses on his frames )

Galli stuff is becoming collectable.

You've got me thinking now ......

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looks alright , what does it weigh .

no frame numbers anywhere

Top Bottom