Help me undertsand gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tomba

I've done a search and i'm still confused. I've also had a look at Sheldons gear calculator thingy but still dont get it.

I'm currently riding a hybrid with a front 48/38/28 and a back 11-32 8 speed.

I'm seriously considering a road bike, this is the confusing part. It looks like a lot of them have a compact double 50/34. One in particular has that front and a 12-30 back.

My concern is the hill climbing. At the moment in the granny gear (28 front, 32 back) I can climb decent hills. So with the compact double lowest gear (34 front, 30 back) would it be a lot harder or nearly the same.
The crank length on my hybrid is 175mm and the road bike is 172.5mm.

I know the road bike is lighter so might negate the harder gearing.

I'd appreciate some lay mans enlightening :smile:

NotFabian

EACC
I'm sure you'll be fine, but...have a go with ur middle ring and 32 on the hill(s) you're concerned about. The 34/30 of the road bike is a little easier than that.

thumbsup.png

OP
OP
T

Tomba

I'm sure you'll be fine, but...have a go with ur middle ring and 32 on the hill(s) you're concerned about. The 34/30 of the road bike is a little easier than that.

thumbsup.png

I was advised not to use the two highest or two lowest gears on the back while using the middle front ring. Something to do with the chain rubbing on the derailleur?

Top Bottom