HELP! Need A Decision By The Morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Perry

The Insurance Company have offered me two bikes:

a) Boardman Road Comp Bike Medium has a 7005 Aluminium fully double butted frame.

Technical Specification

Semi compact frame design: 53cm
7005 Aluminium fully double butted frame
Lightweight Carbon Fibre blades with Alloy steerer
Semi integrated cartridge bearing headset
Full carbon spacers 4x5mm 1x10mm
Ritchey Comp OS 31.8mm Stem
Ritchey Logic Comp OS 31.8mm Handlebars
Ritchey Comp V2 27.2mm Seatpost
CBoardman Road Comp Saddle, Cro-mo rails
Textro R720 dual pivot calipers
Shimano Tiagra 9 speed STI
Shimano 105 Rear Mech
Shimano Tiagra Front Mech
Shimano HG50 9 speed Cassette
Shimano HG73 Chain
Truvativ Elita 2.1 Compact 50/36T Chainset
Truvativ GXP Bottom Bracket
Ritchey Comp Rims
Ritchey Comp hubs
Ritchey Comp spokes
Continental Ultra Race 23c Tyres
Alloy body pedal, steel cage, toe clips and straps

I will pay the extra and upgrade to the Boardman Team

Technical Specification

Semi compact frame design: 53cm
Ultralight 7005 Aluminium frame with triple butted main tubes
Double butted stays and CNC headtube
Superlight Carbon Fibre monocoque with full Carbon blades and steerer
FSA Orbit CE headset with cartridge bearings
Full carbon spacers 4x5mm 1x10mm
Ritchey Pro OS 31.8mm Stem
Ritchey Logic Pro OS 31.8mm Handlebars
Ritchey Pro V2 27.2mm Seatpost
CBoardman Road Comp Saddle, Cro-mo rails
Superlight Textro R740 dual pivot calipers
Shimano Ultegra 10 speed STI
Shimano Ultegra Rear Mech
Shimano Ultegra Front Mech
Shimano CS-5600 10 speed Cassette
Shimano CS-5600 10 speed Chain
Truvativ Rouleur 2.2 Carbon 53/39T Chainset
Truvativ GXP Bottom Bracket
Ritchey Pro Rims
Ritchey Pro hubs
Ritchey Pro spokes
Continental Ultra Race 23c Tyres
No pedals supplied

Then, they have offered me the Genesis 01

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/pdf.php?bikeID=8

But if I get that I will upgrade to the 02

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/pdf.php?bikeID=7

Sorry for the long post but I am panicing at the moment.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the genesis links don't work properly, but the boardman bikes have had strong reviews.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well the Boardman Ultegra is a good bike, if a bit boring in grey black - but if the genesis won't give you Ultegra, then go for the Boardman.....

Don't think you'll go far wrong as they are being marketed hard...GB squad have them... shame I didn't beat Chris in our TT's in the 80's/90's yeh right............... no problems with warrenty....

As Genesis were a crap band and you are trying to play the drums bass drum double bass...I would go for the Boardman. If you bust it then create merry hell - you will get top service as they have a 'pedigree' as mentioned earlier.:ohmy:

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

It's the morning! I am taking your advice and going for the the Boardman Team with the Ultegra Mech.

Sometime today Direct Line should be calling me with info on the nearest store which has them in stock.

Many thanks to all.

Perry

I may see if I can claim for lights and helmet.

Tetedelacourse

Be sure to let us know what you think once you've broken it in.

I was in Halfords about 2 months ago getting a Carrera for Mrs T and I asked the bloke what his opinion was of the Boardman range. His response:

"eh, dunno mate, we just order them in when customers say they want one. Don't really know anything about them."

Classic Halfords expertise! Though I have heard a lot of good about Boardman bikes elsewhere.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tetedelacourse said:
Though I have heard a lot of good about Boardman bikes elsewhere.
They're always well reviewed - looking at the spec of the bike the op is considering, it looks very good indeed...

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Okay Folks ,here goes:

My damaged bike I took to Halfords told me that there was nothing much wrong with the bike, a silght buckle in the wheel which he could sort out for a tenner.

I had to point out a bend in the frame to which he said was normal and re-pointing out bends in the frame he agreed that frame was bent. Then I pointed out a chink in the wheel and asked if that could be straighted. He said no you will need a new wheel mate.

So I nearly was left with a knackered bike through the staff not knowing thier job.

Eventually, he wrote the bike off. He said he just has to fax over the details to another dept.

I went home and rang the insurance company to see if they hae recieved the fax. They had not.

I tried later that day, they still had not recieved the fax. I rang Halfords and spoke the guy who looked at my bike. He sharply said he is busy but will fax it by the end of the day.

I rang the insurance co. the next day who still had not recieved the fax. I asked them to chase it up as the guys was snotty towards me.

They did not call me back that day.

I rang the next day to ask what has happened. They tried to call but did not get an answer from Halfords they will try again today. so they did. The guy who should have sent the fax is off today! I have to wait till tomorrow!

The next day he did send the fax but not all of the details were on the fax so I had to take photos of my bike and email it to the insurance co.

Today I went to a Halfords branch to try out the bike only to be told that someone has gone home with the keys so I could not try out the bike.

I asked if he had any in stock. He said no, they have been waiting three months for new stock which should have been delivered three days ago and they are all taken.

I asked if he could check if any other local branches had them in stock. He did and there was one available. So i went to the other branch to be told they don't have any in stock.

He said the only ones we have are out on the shop floor. This is because they don't sell that many as they are not a popular bike.

I asked him to chech on his PC if it showed up that there was one in stock. He did and there was one in stock.

He brought it out, in the box. He didn't seem keen on putting the bike together. I have to go back tonight and collect it.

Fingers crossed it should all be sorted.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Just been to collect it. I rode around the car park and the chain came off twice.

I took it back and asked the guy to adjust it.

After about 15 mins he showed me the bike on the workstand.

The gears don't seem right.

I can only use half of the gears on the rear wheel, to use the others I have to change the chain onto the other crank.

The guy in Halfords said this is how it is ment to be!

I refused to take the bike until it is working properly.

Is the guy in Halfords right?

Yeh - Shimano rubbish works a bit like that... ;)

No Perry - I don't think the gentleman in Halfords is right, given what you have 'paid' for.
Blast off a letter/email to head office/ Boardman bikes bit etc and tell them how the stuff is being represented if you have any doubt.

I'm sure there are some with acidic prose who may help compose such a letter...:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why one should always learn to fix one's own bikes, because the numpty's can't do it in the shop.

You will have to trim the front mech to stop the chain rubbing, but you should be able to get all gears - but...proper advice is don't use biggest front ring and biggest rear sprocket and smallest to smallest - the chain has to bend alot....not good for wear.... (this is in english - not biker talk)

Have you got any mates who can fix bikes....why not to but a 'good' bike from any big 'non bike specific retailer'

Top Bottom