Help - Need Advice on a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teej

Really hoping someone can help me out here?

Completely new to road Racer bikes and i have a seriously low budget (£200). I literally just want a bike that will get me to work and back which is about 4 1/2 miles (each way). I'm not looking for something to change my life just a decent bike that will get me to and from and maybe improve it over time. I don't want go down the second and route as I’ve had some really bad experiences. i have found a Viking bike that looks very pretty, but I don't know if just a lemon. Really want a racer because well, I hate mountain bikes!

Viking Giro D’Italia Road Bike (2009) £189 (rrp £224)

 SIZE – 53cm 56cm 59cm
 COLOUR – Platinum Blue and Brilliant White.
 FRAME – Lightweight alloy tubing, road geometry, mudguard clearance, aero down tube, two sets of bottle bosses. Replaceable rear drop out.
 FORKS – 700c Hi tensile trekking with mudguard clearance.
 GEARS – Shimano 14 speed gears with Shimano down tube control levers.
 TRANSMISSION – Prowheel Double, with alloy cranks, Cartridge BB set. Shimano 7 speed freewheel.
 WHEELS – Viking 700c 36 hole black double wall alloy rims with CNC sides, alloy quick release front hub and black spokes.
 TYRES – Kenda 700c x 23 all black road tyres.
 BRAKES – Alloy side pull with alloy levers.
 SADDLE – Viking road saddle with an alloy micro adjust seat post.
 FEATURES – Black cork handlebar tape. Toe clips and straps

http://www.holcroscycles.com/productdetail/23/1821/Viking-Giro-D’Italia-Road-Bike-(2009).html

The guy on the phone is really helpful, but at the end of the day he’s trying to sell me something. Of got some mates that are saying nothing is worth it unless its £500 and above.

Like I said I know its £189 and that’s what I’ll get but just want to know if it’s a waste of money or if I will do but not be amazing.

Would love some advice.

Llama

Veteran
Don't touch it -

something like this would be far better - it is a bit more but you get what you pay for...
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...f_FullProductVersion=1&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Its a bit of a tough task at that price, it is worth checking out Gumtree and ebay as you may be able to pick up a 2006/2007 ish bike that has been looked after and it will serve you better, for longer and be more comfortable than a new one at £200. Just go to your LBS and have a look at a few so you can get a feel for the right size. Get some advice there, most shops may know a few people that have a bike they want to sell, at the very least they will give you some pointers to ensure buying second hand is not a bad thing.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've bored people hereabouts long enough on this, but the bottom line is £200 buys you a pretty crap new bike, or it can buy you a seriously nice ebay bike. It helps if you can handle a spanner, mind...

Ivan Ardon

It's rubbish. Worth about half of what they're asking. Downtube shifters, freewheel rather than freehub, MTB rear mech. The ToysRus road bike is very similar, and they were knocking them out for fifty quid at one point.

Even a Halfords Apollo TDF 2 for not much more would be better, at least you'd get STI shifters and real road components (even if they are low end).

Second hand is the way to go.

PpPete

Legendary Member
My LBS reckons £350 is about as low as you can go for a new road bike.

Anything lower is a BSO.

If budget won't go that far, it's got to be 2nd hand.

Top Bottom