Help needed please...!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brihoppy

Hey all, first time poster here...

I might be off for a few days to Pembrokeshire in September to do a little light cycling.

I used to do alot of trail biking back in the day so I will be reassembling my 1994 Marin Eldridge Grade for the trip (haven't ridden it in years so I expect a sore arse!!!)

I'm quite an experienced hiker and own plenty of appropriate gear but how and what do I carry on a bike...?!?! I've never done a cycling exped so I really dont know where to start...!

I take it I will need some form of pannier...? And where do I carry my sleeping bag...? We're probably going lightweight, i.e. bivi bags, so not taking a tent, and I think we'll be feeding as we go...

I've not much more info at this point as my oppo is mostly planning it all, but I would really appreciate a few pointers...!

Cheers,

Bri.

rowan 46

Über Member
If you are using a bivvi bag you will need a thermarest or something similar definately panniers pack your sleeping bag on top of the rack in something waterproof. Unless your panniers are waterproof not water resist don't forget to pack everything in plastic bags. As you have done camping you know the rules only take what you need, luxuries are just that and will be paid for with extra effort. I forgot to add welcome to cycle chat and have a good time

rowan 46

Über Member
Most important are tools and spares. Two inner tubes of appropriate size. A pump. A bike multi-tool and tyre levers should be the basic kit.

Thought It didn't need saying, but you are right it did. My mistake basic first aid kit as well including aerosol of distilled water and spray on plaster is more comfortable for cycling than sticky plasters

OP
OP
B

brihoppy

thanks for the responses so far guys...

i think i was looking more for advice on the load carriage aspects...i.e. how to load the bike, etc, etc, im pretty confident about what spares and kit to carry though anything you can recommend not to go without would be handy...!

i guess ill stuff my doss-bag in one of my large ortlieb dry bags and strap it over the rear wheel.

is there anywhere i can hire decent panniers...?

cheers, bri.

Top Bottom