Help needed ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't do it RT! Don't do it! Think about the the consequences!

Paradoxically, I wouldn't mind so much if I'd managed a bit longer than two days.:biggrin: I promised myself I wouldn't give myself a hard time over the odd one here or there, but I need at least a fortnight off them first.
I should be alright for tonight, everyone's gone to bed now except me and the shops are all shut. And the craving has subsided now anyway.:biggrin:

I know everyone is different, but I gave up without any cravings at all. It's been nine maybe ten years now. Thats not to say I haven't had the odd "quick cough and a drag" in that time, but I've never had any problems staying off them.

Maz

Guru
I've heard that physical exercise helps to keep cravings away. Bit of a daft question, but do you get time to do much cycling these days?

Maz said:
I've heard that physical exercise helps to keep cravings away. Bit of a daft question, but do you get time to do much cycling these days?

Haven't been on the bike for months. The last time I cycled was ... er ... the bank holiday at the end of May, when I did a 30 miler. I miss my regular commute (and am, in fact, in the process of applying for a job in Chepstow, which should give me a lovely 20 mile commute down the Wye Valley:biggrin:). I always said that cycling regularly would get me off the fags - I just thought I'd try and pre - empt it by giving up sooner.

yenrod

>Rhythm

I know that smoking is a conscious and unconcious habit.

So you could sort the concious bit but it'd still be eating away at the unconscious too !

All the best.

yenrod

To go on Rhythm: the chemicals, you may know this, adhere to parts of the brain that just love them (the un-conscious part) BUT the other elements in the smoke arent so good - obviously.

So, what you can do in regards to seeking some enlightenment (crazy word) on this aspect.

Basically, its like this.

The brain gets to like some of the chemicals in the nicotine: the deal is to break that.

Breaking it is obviously HARDER in practice that theory, as you know!

Its a bit like if you really love someone but they dont love you!

Sooner or later you've got to live with the fact you cannot have them.

Keep us updated if you can be arsed ! - respect :biggrin:

Mr Pig

Why not just smoke? Who wants to live to a hundred anyway? Get fed mush and smell like boiled cabbage..

On the other hand. If you are going to die young then cancer is a darn crap way to go. It's painful, takes a long time and strips every shred if dignity from you in the process.

My father never smoked but died from bone marrow cancer. My mother looked after him at home and for the last nine months he was bedridden and in terrible pain. Night after night I'd lie in bed and listen to him crying and yelling out in the next room.

Towards the end he literally looked like a skeleton with skin stretched over it. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't want to go near him.

Years later my mother married again, to a heavy smoker! Her new husband was one of those guys who shrugged off the risk, never thought it would happen to him. Less than a year after they got married he went to the doctor with a pain in his chest. Six months later he was dead.

How much incentive is it you actually need? If you want to smoke, smoke. Heck, we're all going to die of something! Maybe you'll be one of those smokers who lives to a hundred. Two things though. If it doesn't kill you it 'will' take your strength and health. Secondly, if you do get lung cancer it will be very, very bad.

Top Bottom