Help weight related not cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

I could do with losing a couple of stone maybe 3! I carry the weight ok because I am tall but I know I need to trim down. I have in the main kept my weight under control over the years the most difficult time being losing the post baby weight of 4 stone. But I did do it, I was nearly 4 stone lighter than I am now and looked and felt much better for it. I struggled to keep to that level but managed to keep within a stone of it which was fine. However two years ago my beloved found greener pastures and that was the start of the increasing poundage. I know what I should eat and where I go wrong but that doesn't stop me putting the wrong things in my mouth - mostly when the children are in bed or away with their dad. I am a good cook and family meals are varied and nutritionally balanced its outside of that things go wrong. I started cycling again to help sort this, well it is helping in that my weight is no longer increasing. I know there are no quick fixes and I know what to do but does anyone have any experience/advice that gets them over that first hurdle and sticking with sensible eating - a sort of invisible jaw wiring effect is needed.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i think the first thing you need to do... don't buy it when you go shopping. you say you know where you are going wrong but that it doesn't stop you putting it in your mouth... well, don't put it in the cupboards in the first place.

for instance, yesterday i did a rare thing... i went food shopping. normally i rely on other people to feed me :tongue: LOL

but i'm spending too much money at work on food so i decided to go food shopping and get stuff for sandwiches.

so as well as sandwich fillings i bought chocolate mini's (you know.. bag of 52 assorted mini cadbury bars etc) and crisps to go with my sarnies. of course, i'm having a lazy sunday and i'm half way through the snacks already :evil:

normally, i don't have this stuff in so i don't eat it when i'm at home. bad girl i am.

maybe that will help you. if it's not in the cupboard you can't eat it. and don't kid yourself that you're getting it for the kids. if it's bad for you, then it's bad for them. so don't buy it.

buggi

Bird Saviour
the other thing you could do, is when the hunger pangs hit, have a bowl of cereal first. chances are it will fill you up and you won't feel hungry after and won't snack.

OP
OP
W

Willow

buggi said:
the other thing you could do, is when the hunger pangs hit, have a bowl of cereal first. chances are it will fill you up and you won't feel hungry after and won't snack.

Cereal won't work once I start it would be like a multipack of crisps and I think the real problem is I am eating not because I'm hungry but out of habit. You are right about not buying it . when my boys were little they had treat day now they are older they have a snack box each so they have some treats in there which have to last them the week. I don't want to deprive them totally because I think that is why I have a tendency to overeat the wrong things (childhood stuff) - but maybe from next week their snack box can consist of cash which they can choose to go down the shop and get something or save the pennies because you are right it is buying the multipacks and kidding myself there will be enough for 2 weeks that is a major problem.

In your OP you linked the increasing poundage and dodgy eating to your relationship break up, so do you need any extra help in dealing with all of that first? Also remember if you start exercising you'll put on muscle mass which weighs more than fat...but sounds like you have made a good start.

buggi

Bird Saviour
totally am there with you.... nothing snack wise in my flat lasts the week... yet 3 weeks later i'm picking mouldy apples out of my fridge LOL.

i think the real problem tho Willow is the underlying cause... i hope i'm not out of line here by saying this but i think its your ex and the way he has obviously made you feel leaving you with the kids.

would i be right?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
As an (ex)comfort eater I know what is going on with you, although I cannot imagine the stress of your relationship breakdown and the effect it had on you.

But on the positive side, you are here, you're riding, and willing to share, so the least we can do is help motivate you.

I am personally in much better condition than I was a year ago, and can only put that down to miles on my bikes.

I have recently started Thai boxing with a mate, and he complemented me on my fitness, and he's been doing it 10 years!

Just remember every pedal turn will get you closer to your goal, and if it hurts and your lungs are screaming, then it's doing you some good.

Even a long slow ride is better for you than none at all. Keep up the good work, we're rooting for you!!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i found that taking money to work was a bad idea, as i was buying a huge slice of flapjack for 70p each day from the staff canteen. if i take no cash (i take my own lunch from home), i can't fall prey to temptation.

OP
OP
W

Willow

It would be easy to use that as an excuse. I guess if he was around I wouldn't be able to eat badly at the wrong times but the truth is I should be able to register brain before teeth so to speak, but I don't. But I think you are right about the shopping (and baking) every week I kid myself I won't eat these things and I do so I'm just going to have to be stronger about not buying them and get chomping on those apples.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Willow said:
It would be easy to use that as an excuse. I guess if he was around I wouldn't be able to eat badly at the wrong times but the truth is I should be able to register brain before teeth so to speak, but I don't. But I think you are right about the shopping (and baking) every week I kid myself I won't eat these things and I do so I'm just going to have to be stronger about not buying them and get chomping on those apples.

another tip... don't buy apples. they are the MOST BORING fruit going. try pineapple, mango, grapes, melon, oranges, satsuma's, nectarines, peaches, cherry's .... anything but apples :evil: (unless, of course, you actually like them)

ComedyPilot said:
As Kirstie said, don't watch the scales too much, watch the tape measure, that will show you are toning up nicely.

very true. it's not what shape you are, it's what shape you're in.

HelenD123

Guru
I find apples make me hungrier for some reason. Maybe its the effort of digesting them?

I find I eat when I'm bored. It sounds like you're maybe the same, eating when the children aren't around. Could you find something to occupy/distract yourself?

bonj2

A good mantra: buying it/deciding to eat it is the crime , not actually eating it. There's no slimming value in trying to eat only a bit of that cake/pie/chips and put the rest aside 'for later'. You've bought it/cooked it, so get it down you.
If you don't want to eat the whole lot don't buy it in the first place.

gbb

Legendary Member
Apples ?...if you like them, get them...
My wife has lost about 4 stone in 6 months, and the weights been stable since.

Here's how she did it..
Cut out all the snacks...she did have a sweet tooth, cakes and biscuits are a no no now.
Excercise...maybe an hour a day doing aerobic excercises, Rosemary Conley DVDs etc. Frequent cycling (she's got more muscuar legs than me now :angry: )..walking, etc etc.
Lots of apples for when she feels hungry...or any other fruit thats available.
Small meals.
She eats normally at the weekend. We still go out for a meal on Friday nights, that will be a steak or similar...
She found it beneficial NOT to restrict her diet at the weekend. At first it was very hard, and boring. The weekend breaks from the diet are a lift in what is a boring and hard regime (at first...it has got easier).

I guess the weight hasnt gone back on because this regime has become permanent (although she doesnt excercise now half as much as she did in the beginning)

Hope whatever regime you try works for you Willow

Top Bottom