Help with washing cycling top

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

judder

Have just bought a new winter top and now have dirty oil or something similar on it..
Washing instructions say cold wash only and use no softener..
Have tried my usual washing detergent but its still not clean..
Don't want to try anything to aggressive on it as I don't want to bleach the colour.
Lots of people must have had this problem, so what did you use and was it successful..
Thanks All

vigomag

Über Member
You could try using soap flakes and rub gently on the mark and then put in a wash with soap flakes. i had a few ingrained marks on my new cycling jacket (bloody fell off the bike!)and athough did not get rid of the marks 100% did make a big mprovement.

Edge705

I've got good results in the past with a Vanish Soap.

Same here trouble is I can never find it:tongue: apologies for hijacking thread couldn't resist that one Have you tried Dove soap? it takes a bit of time but has worked for me (oops my mum ) in the past just need a bit of elbow grease

I've got the cheap bargain cycling tops that Aldi sold in the summer. They too say cool wash, and don't tumble dry. I regularly ignore the cool wash instructions, and try my best to obey the no tumble dryer, but still forget this from time to time.

Currently, they are still in shape, in good condition, and clean! Depending on how much you paid for your cycle top, might be worth risking a normal wash.

Willo

I've got the cheap bargain cycling tops that Aldi sold in the summer. They too say cool wash, and don't tumble dry. I regularly ignore the cool wash instructions, and try my best to obey the no tumble dryer, but still forget this from time to time.

Currently, they are still in shape, in good condition, and clean! Depending on how much you paid for your cycle top, might be worth risking a normal wash.

Over time, I too have strayed away from the washing instructions even for more expensive jerseys etc. I found that obeying the washing instructions didn't sufficiently get rid of the dirt/pong. Not saying anyone does the same but, for me, all my gear gets bunged in at the normal 40 degree cycle. I have noticed any detrimental effect although obviously I may be wearing out my gear more quickly. However, no point in washing it if it's still dirty and pongs.

Edge705

Forgot to mention I got a couple of punctures whilst cycling in tenerife on a hire bike last year it got that bad I had to swap the tyres about (back on the front) Anyway my brand new Radioshack top had a few black marks and I remeber my mum getting them out with Dove Soap Im sure there might have been a bit of oil on there as well. However I must further add i just shove my cycling tops in the wash anyway Ive never noticed any problems should I?

sushi_jones

Regular
I always wash my jerseys at 40c and then let them drip dry in my bathroom.
To be honest I don't think the temperature of the wash cycle is that relevent as 99% of clothing I buy (non cycling) have strict washing instructions. My guess is they're put there just to cover themselves in case any issues arise from a wash.

Also, I always stay well away from any jersey which has copius amounts of white as they're bound to get dirty quickly.

Just bought this from zelo jersey before christmas. It's got a fleece inside and is lovely and warm :becool: :

2938916.jpg

Jonathing

Über Member
Washing up liquid, preferably before you wash it, then rub with moist cloth and rinse. You know how fairy liquid adverts used to bang on about cutting through grease? Works on all sorts of grease and oil.

Top Bottom