Helping hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5355201, member: 9609"]we did, but we had to take it back as she likes to pedal and keeps count of her miles. You have to secretly push her up hills.
she regularly knocks out 2-300 miles a month doing 2 or 3 miles at a time. hope I can still manage that in my 80s.[/QUOTE]
Good on your mum ^_^

Julia9054

Guru
Touching somebody on the buttocks would be inappropriate for either sex but a push on the saddle or the small of the back is fine.
. . . if you ask first and the person says yes.
It's not hard.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It depends entirely on the circumstances, if it was somebody I didn't know of course I would offer a push first. My own child or a buddy and I would just push.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't know why anybody could find this offensive unless it was done improperly. It's one cyclist giving support to another less fit cyclist, I used to do the same for GtiJunior if he was flagging on the way home. It's a sporting gesture and I get impatient with the competitively PC who are determined to take offence whenever they can.

Have a look at the excellent short film Two Broad Arrows on Vimeo for a good sporting gesture.
It's somewhat different offering help by touching your own son or daughter, to an unknown man touching an unknown woman. How do you think your wife or daughter might react? They might be absolutely fine with it...or they might not...
As above why do you always assume everyone cycles for sport just because that's seemingly all you do?

U

User169

I've seen pushers just touching the saddle, no body contact.
Would still come as a surprise if the pushed rider was not forewarned though, a bit dangerous imo.

It’s just completely weird. Who on earth would think it appropriate to start pushing a total stranger.

Would you pick up a slow jogger?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It’s just completely weird. Who on earth would think it appropriate to start pushing a total stranger.
Some French folks do, obviously :laugh:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I wonder if it's more common in traditional roadie culture.

It happened to me twice and I'm a burly bloke. Once, a work colleague and club rider, gave me a gentle push on my back as he overtook me. Another occasion a road club passed me near the top of a climb, and an older rider from the tail end, offered words of encouragement and a gentle push of the saddle.

I took it in the sportsmanlike spirit described by Globalti.

Top Bottom