hen bathing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

I recommend it. Yet another one required a bath this morning. Anode did not exactly appreciate the spa session, but she is looking a lot better for it and she seems to be enjoying being swaddled in warm towels.

Jane Smart

The Queen
How do you do it? :biggrin:

Just curious ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's a good idea! Yesterday we dropped Goldie the Rhodie down the chimney as it was getting a bit sooty. Along with about 20 kilos of soot she flapped out of the fireplace looking more like Blackie than Goldie so maybe a bath would restore her lustre.

What shampoo for my bird?

thomas

the tank engine
Our chickens used to have lovely dust baths....can't remember ever dunking them in the shower ;).

Did have to bath my old mouse though as she had a skin condition. We turned an old butter pot into a mouse bath...and my god! When mice touch water they don't half jump a mile!!

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

Jane Smart said:
How do you do it? :smile:

Just curious :biggrin:

Fill bath with warm water to depth suitable to cover hen to bum level. Add some bubble bath/shower gel of choice. Place hen in warm bubble bath. Hen will stand there soaking in the warm water. Use jug to fill with the warm bath water & pour ver hen (but not over her head..) until hen is clean. Remove hen from water place on warm towels. Wrap hen in warm towels and cradle dry ;)

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
wafflycat said:
Anode had the delights of Lynx shower gel..
;) is she exhibiting any Lynx effects?

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

She is farting... and as a result I am expecting a UN resolution to be made against me and then an invasion of Chateau Wafflycat by a UN coilition of forces. Nothing, but nothing smells as bad as hen fart. It should be deemed a WMD as it grabs you by the throat and chokes you... it is seriously bad.

*cough* *splutter* *cough*

Gas mask please!

rusky

CC Addict
Has anyone got any tips or websites they can share regarding keeping chickens?

We have been talking about it for a couple of years now & I think 2010 could be the year!

thomas

the tank engine
rusky said:
Has anyone got any tips or websites they can share regarding keeping chickens?

We have been talking about it for a couple of years now & I think 2010 could be the year!

We had one of those posh Omlette cages. They are quite a lot more expensive, though we sold ours second hand on ebay and actually made a profit because the prices from Omlette had gone up :smile:.

As for tips...ermm...love them and enjoy their eggs? :biggrin:

Give them full run of the garden, they love to explorer...don't leave them in some small little run!!

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

rusky said:
Are the Omlett cages worth it compared to a wooden ark?

IMO The Omlett Eglus are hugely overpriced for what they are. I wouldn't get an ark if, by ark, you mean the three-sided things, such as

d_14550.jpg

Reason - wasted space by the pyramidal structure. I have a small ark as an 'emergency' shelter if I have to isolate a hen from the rest, say due to illness. But they are too restricted in room for them to be a long-term home IMO.

I started off with this:-

Pallis005.jpg

Which was entirely suitable for a couple of hens provided they could free-range in the garden too.

Have now moved on to this, as built by MrWc & WCMnr during summer 09.

Newaccommodation006290709.jpg

What I found when looking to start with hens was that if any 'housing' was labelled as being for poultry, then the price was *significantly greater* than essentially the same item not labelled as 'poultry housing' but simply as 'pet' housing. Plus I found that the sellers would greatly over estimate the number of hens that can be kept humanely in any given size of accommodation. Example - quite often I'd see stuff labelled as say, 'suitable for 5 hens' and I'd certainly not put any more than two in there.

MrWC & WCMnr made the new accommodation as being walk-in height, it's far easier for me to keep it all cleaned. Plus it's of a size that the girls can be in there all day and not be squashed for space to perch, scratch about, preen etc. Building it themselves cost far, far less than buying an equivalent ready-made.

Things to think about - The main thing I am glad of is that the shelter I have (both the original & the new one) have a solid roof. It is brilliant at keeping rain/snow/hail etc., off the birds - hens don't like getting wet but they are not exactly intelligent at working out how to stay dry. Also - think predator! Mine are on a paving slab base (covered in wood chips) so Mr Fox, Mr Mink and Mr Rat etc can't dig in and get to the girls and their eggs. The mesh is weld mesh, not chicken wire. This keeps out wild birds. Thinking bird diseases here - I'm keeping out wild bird droppings and stopping contact with wild birds, so minimising the risk of my girls picking up nasties from their wild cousins (thinking particularly of parasites & bird flu here).

Having hens means you are tied - they need attention daily - but it is very little in reality - but it does need to be done daily, such as checking for eggs, providing clean water, clean food, cleaning the hen house of overnight droppings. Cleanliness is paramount as it reduces the chances of the hens picking up internal & external parasites, and any other nasties. Plus if you check your birds daily you get to know them and anything untoward can be spotted early and dealt with.

Hens are actually very easy to keep and there is something inherently comedic about hens and their curiosity. Plus a hen with a beakful of spaghetti running around the garden is hilarious to see.

I've got ex-battery hens and I recommend them to anyone wanting hens.

Attachments

• d_14550.jpg
    d_14550.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Pallis005.jpg
    Pallis005.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Newaccommodation006290709.jpg
    Newaccommodation006290709.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 11

rusky

CC Addict
I was thinking something along the lines of the encosure in the 2nd photo.

Any recommended reading??

Top Bottom