He's not going to the US, for now anyway.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Like him walk :smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
Interesting that the legal grounds for extradition were met, but extradition was barred on mental health grounds - the US could not guarantee preventing him comiting suicide.

theclaud

Broadband Communism Now

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Interesting that the legal grounds for extradition were met, but extradition was barred on mental health grounds - the US could not guarantee preventing him comiting suicide.
I suspect the US government might not just be unable to 'prevent it', at least until the 20th Jan.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Good news of course, despite Cyclops' disgraceful framing, but unfortunately the ruling mostly sides with US prosecutors, and it's only the indefensible conditions of their penal system that have saved him. Anyone who values press freedom should be horrified by the fact that it has had to come to this.

Here's the whole judgement. https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/USA-v-Assange-judgment-040121.pdf
Serious question - where do you stand on the whistle blower side of Assange versus the alleged rape? Personally I struggle to laud the man due to the allegations plus the Pro-Russia/Trump rumours.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I'm sure TC will speak for herself but there are two different allegations. Any argument that he 'got off' on the rape charge isn't a reason to view either the mental health justification for refusal or whether the prima facie case for extradition is made any differently.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm sure TC will speak for herself but there are two different allegations. Any argument that he 'got off' on the rape charge isn't a reason to view either the mental health justification for refusal or whether the prima facie case for extradition is made any differently.
Fully agree - but I love judging people :smile: Just like St Peter at the Pearly Gates, I am not sure where I would send him.

theclaud

Broadband Communism Now
Serious question - where do you stand on the whistle blower side of Assange versus the alleged rape? Personally I struggle to laud the man due to the allegations plus the Pro-Russia/Trump rumours.
Wot Bromptonaut said, really - I don't see it as a trade-off. Assange is a political prisoner whose fate is of enormous significance to all of us, whether he's a rapist or not - a matter which persecuting him has not helped in any way to determine and has arguably obfuscated.

OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Whether you think he's a hero or an enemy of the state he rode the system to his advantage like Sea Biscuit. I still don't have a view one way or the other on the 'rightness' of his cause.
Evading scrutiny over the rape charges, then using the Ecuadorians to hide and ****ing his lawyer to further increase his chances of avoiding extradition. In prison he talked of suicide and hid a razor blade in his cell to convince that he was a suicide risk. Seems to have worked. We're also told he has Asperger's now. Although he claims the moral high ground I and many others don't see it that way. He's just a rather self serving individual trying to save himself and doesn't have the courage to stand behind his actions. But at least the bleeding heart liberals are pleased.
I do think is not right that the yanks won't send Anne Secoolas. Assange for her would be a good trade, or better still a equal extradition agreement.
So, I ask again, what for him now if the extradition fails on appeal? Should he be sent back to Aus? Do you think he'll try and make a life with his lawyer?

Last edited:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Whether you think he's a hero or an enemy of the state he rode the system to his advantage like Sea Biscuit. I still don't have a view one way or the other on the 'rightness' of his cause.
Evading scrutiny over the rape charges, then using the Ecuadorians to hide and ****ing his lawyer to further increase his chances of avoiding extradition. In prison he talked of suicide and hid a razor blade in his cell to convince that he was a suicide risk. Seems to have worked. We're also told he has Asperger's now. Although he claims the moral high ground I and many others don't see it that way. He's just a rather self serving individual trying to save himself and doesn't have the courage to stand behind his actions. But at least the bleeding heart liberals are pleased.
I do think is not right that the yanks won't send Anne Secoolas. Assange for her would be a good trade, or better still a equal extradition agreement.
So, I ask again, what for him now if the extradition fails on appeal? Should he be sent back to Aus? Do you think he'll try and make a life with his lawyer?
Just to clarify, do you believe his actions as whistleblower revealing government's crimes make him a criminal???

Reactions: C R

theclaud

Broadband Communism Now
I still don't have a view one way or the other on the 'rightness' of his cause.
That's not how it looks from here.

****ing his lawyer
Do you think he'll try and make a life with his lawyer?
Is there any public interest in this, or is it just prurience on your part?

I do think is not right that the yanks won't send Anne Secoolas. Assange for her would be a good trade
I guess if you have a sort of Al Qaeda approach to justice and negotiation this sort of thing makes perfect sense.

what for him now if the extradition fails on appeal
Search me, but AMLO has just offered him asylum. :okay:

McWobble

Euthermic
It's hard to have any sympathy for Assange. He ran away from some very serious charges. It must be noted for the Assange supporters that his activities would have seen him on rape charges in this country, and that the legal process in Sweden requires Assange to be charged at a formal interview. He fled the country when he heard that he was about to be called for that formal interview. Those charges were not dropped: they expired due to time limitations. Then of course he absconded here before he could be extradited back to Sweden. Craven to the core - and it's led to his effective incarceration in the Ecuadorian Embassy followed by actual incarceration for breaching bail.

The ironic thing is that even had he been found guilty in Sweden, he would have been released and been a free man years ago. He brought this all on himself. There wasn't any plot to bring him down - why would there have been, when he was the agent of his own destruction? It's difficult to argue that he's undeserving of it. It could actually be argued that it's entirely fitting, given the way he abandoned Manning to face the music on his own after promising his support.

That said, this US extradition bid is plainly purely politically motivated. It's a depressing and damning spectacle on the British justice system. At least we got the right result, though for the wrong reasons. I trust that now Johnson's won our sovereignty back from the EU [1] he'll use it to free us from this deeply inequitous and one sided extradition treaty with the US.

[1] Other viewpoints are available :whistle:

Top Bottom