Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
It's a victory for equality. If we want a fair and equal society then it's wrong to deny opposite sex couples the right to a civil partnership, just as it's wrong to deny same sex couple the right to get married.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I have to admit I just don't get the ideological objections to marriage, which seem mostly irrelevant in 2018.

As far as I can see, there is no meaningful distinction between marriage and civil partnership in the eyes of the law, or for practical purposes. Am I missing something?

theclaud

It's teeceegawnmaaaad
I have to admit I just don't get the ideological objections to marriage, which seem mostly irrelevant in 2018.

As far as I can see, there is no meaningful distinction between marriage and civil partnership in the eyes of the law, or for practical purposes. Am I missing something?
Could just abolish marriage, then :smile:.

GilesM

Guru

I totally understand the ideological objections to marriage (I am probably a wee bit biased, I've been not married to the same person for the last 32years), but I do agree with you that you can have a marriage that is really no different to a civil partnership.
The real problem is that civil partnerships should not exist, they were just introduced because some people of a bigoted nature (perhaps the then PM who was a bit too much into God stuff) couldn't handle the idea of same sex marriages, but realised there had to be some sort of legal status for gay couples, otherwise there were going to be lots of problems, and court cases, related to inheritance tax.

Threevok

(if specified)
That's a good point.

Is a person allowed to have more than one Civil Partnership at the same time ?

Not that I am a glutton for punishment or anything :okay:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I totally understand the ideological objections to marriage (I am probably a wee bit biased, I've been not married to the same person for the last 32years), but I do agree with you that you can have a marriage that is really no different to a civil partnership.
I understand the ideological objections but they're historical and as far as I can tell, no longer relevant.

It's like objecting to sugar on the grounds that it supports the slave trade.

Marriage these days is effectively no more than a formal state recognition of your status as a couple, which brings certain benefits and rights. I object to it more on the grounds that those benefits and rights are denied to people who live in a partnership without seeking that formal state recognition. Civil partnership is not the answer since it is functionally identical to civil marriage.

keithmac

Veteran
I don't get it either, neither me or my wife aren't in the slightest bit religious and our wedding showed that.

Plus viewing your wife as "property" just because you're married?, can't believe anybody thinks that way.

What an utter waste of money!.

Time Waster

Ideology and history makes marriage wrong to many. Just because the religious or oppression side of marriage isn't there as blatantly doesn't mean the institution is OK.

Personally I want to see the principle that the rights and privileges available to married couples is applied to those who live as couples without any form of official paperwork. If a married couple gets a tax break then an unmarried couple should as well. Or neither group should get it.

Then there's a whole host of other issues that the state has ordained on its citizens in the name of protecting the family unit / nuclear family. Who knew that not being married at the time of our child's birth can have an effect on parental rights and responsibilities?!!

Let's put this simply, I don't like the current laws and systems that revolve around marital status. The most there should be is a simply record that citizen x and citizen y view themselves as a couple. Then all rights relating to that needs modernising. BTW I don't think couples even need that record. If there is evidence of living as a couple whether recorded or not then that should be enough.

Seriously, the whole system is wrong. Marriage is seriously ingrained into the state it's insidious.

BTW I'm about 6 years into my partnership. IMHO partnership should replace it all.

BTW you guys are obviously not feminists.

Top Bottom