Hi fi stands.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ms RT wants her table back. So I need to find somewhere else to put my stereo system. Off I went to ebay to have a look for a hi fi rack.
Now, I know that hi fi buffs (and I suppose I am one) are possibly even more obsessive than cyclists when it comes to gear, but I was staggered by the price of these things. Nearly £800 for a set of shelves, in one instance! The cheapest I've found (which admittedly is a nice piece of furniture rather than a stainless steel and glass thing) which would accommodate my hi fi components, is around £300. Three hundred quid!
Anyway. reading various threads on hi fi forums, I notice that the contributors seem to be full of the virtues of this stand or that stand, or saying things like "well, the Quadraspire reference range has holes in the shelves which makes for better isolation and a more natural sound", and so on and so forth. Now, I've always had my hi fi things on an old pub table with a tiled top and it's never sounded inferior to me. I wouldn't know better isolation if I fished it out of my soup. Does this sort of thing really make a difference, and, if I had a spare £300 (ha!), would it be worth spending it on a glorified shelf unit?

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
A chap I used to work with had his speakers on an old railway sleeper because he reckoned that they were 'natural' and solid enough to absorb any vibration.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's more bollocks talked and written about hi-fi than any other hobby, the difference is that hi-fi enthusiasts believe most of it! I saw something about a bloke who wired his speakers with orange 3 core cable, the sort you get with your electric lawnmower. When people saw this they went bananas for the idea, I expect you can buy it now at hundreds of times the retail price. That's the point - if the accessory isn't expensive, hi-fi enthusiasts will believe it's no good and won't buy it.

I have my Mission speakers on stands but only because it keeps them off the floor and at the right level for listening when seated. They are heavy steel things, which I have re-painted twice with Dulux Once to match the room decor. I really don't think they make any noticeable difference to the sound quality though. The furnishings and the size and shape of the room are just as important.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I bought a low table about 2' x 4' hit has thick steel legs which are joined front and back at the bottom and the top is made from 1" thick oak - I think it's 40s, got a sort of military office air about it if you know what I mean, robust. Fits a stack of components one half and a VPI yankee turntable the other - there's enough height underneath for LPs. Cost me about £50 from an office antique shop on Upper Street, Islington approx 15 years ago. Vibration? ha!! not likely. Looks nice too.

rh100

Wolf04 said:
Try Richer Sounds
http://www.richersounds.com/
Top quality at everyday prices. Ignore these audiophiles who spend tens of thousands on getting the sound perfect and just focus on what's important the music!
:smile:

+1

I got a nice black metal and glass upright stand for about £100 from Richer Sounds- it even had the pointy feet to 'isolate' it from the floor :smile: (bloomin gimmicks)

The only thing I've ever found a benefit from is placing the speakers on stands.

Makes you wonder what 'must have' hyped up accessories there is for cycling that actually make no difference to the average cyclist.

I am married to a sound engineer, and if he had the resources he would spend literally tens of thousands on audio equipment. He costed his dream system last year and it was 10 grand just for the amp, speakers and cabling.

However, you can spend all the money in the world on your system, but if the room the soundsystem is in is acoustically crap, or the wrong shape, it will still sound crap! So what do you do? Build an extension?

Jeez.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have one of these, Sound Organisation in piano black with 5 fully adjustable black glass shelves and spiked feet:

(Which is for sale for £50.00 should anyone want one :smile:, hifi equipment not included)

hifistand-1.jpg

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The thing that kills me is the guys on the internet who do extended reviews of their £1100 cartridge, and more often than not they're talking about Rick Wakeman or Emerson Lake & Palmer. I remember once being put firmly in my place by a friend of a friend who had a big collection of classical records, when I teased her about her crappy stereo - 'well that's because I'm interested in the music, not the machine'.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I know someone who spent over £1,000 on cables for his speakers... (:laugh: )
Wouldn't mind, but he only listens to complete tripe anyway!

Top Bottom