Hi from Derbyshire!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Terry Kay

How strange to come across such a popular looking forum through a BBC news report on Helmet Cameras recording bad driving!

I must admit, I spend a lot of time searching the internet at work and this is the first I've heard of the site!

Personally I have fond memories of cycling as a kid.. I gave that up and didn't pick up a cycle until I borrowed my brothers for the daily commute a few years back.. Unfortunately he asked for it back before I'd managed to conquer the hills into work!
We've now had to economise and my years old threat to sell one of the cars and buy a bike have come true!
I picked up a cheap MTB from eBay and started off again.. What started off as a way to get healthier and get to work has actually turned into an obsession!
I've already ditched the knobbly standard tyres for smoother urban types.. I carry an Android phone with me so use that to track my route and times and am already planning longer trips there and back.
And to add to my obsession, my work are starting a cycle to work scheme next year, so I've been spending my time scaring myself on youtube and reading bike reviews!

Well, thats all for now.. Off to spend many more hours reading about our fab sport!

Terry

Paladin - York

Hello from North Yorkshire.

Carol C

How strange to come across such a popular looking forum through a BBC news report on Helmet Cameras recording bad driving!

I must admit, I spend a lot of time searching the internet at work and this is the first I've heard of the site!

Personally I have fond memories of cycling as a kid.. I gave that up and didn't pick up a cycle until I borrowed my brothers for the daily commute a few years back.. Unfortunately he asked for it back before I'd managed to conquer the hills into work!
We've now had to economise and my years old threat to sell one of the cars and buy a bike have come true!
I picked up a cheap MTB from eBay and started off again.. What started off as a way to get healthier and get to work has actually turned into an obsession!
I've already ditched the knobbly standard tyres for smoother urban types.. I carry an Android phone with me so use that to track my route and times and am already planning longer trips there and back.
And to add to my obsession, my work are starting a cycle to work scheme next year, so I've been spending my time scaring myself on youtube and reading bike reviews!

Well, thats all for now.. Off to spend many more hours reading about our fab sport!

Terry
Hi from East Yorkshire; welcome to this very friendly site.

OP
OP
Terry Kay

Terry Kay

Hi and thanks for all the welcomes!
You know I never really thought of my home town as hilly until I got on the bike! We live halfway up a fair hill.. The way into work is mostly flat after that until just before when it rises quite a bit again..
The worst hill is coming home as I start at the bottom of the hill! Though makes it easy getting in lol..

The place I work are moving a couple of miles further away at some point in 2013.. Of all the commute options, biking seemed the one I'd most like to get into, so here I am! Though of course once they have moved, there's an even bigger hill to tackle!

Thanks again for all the replies!

Terry

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome,you will find us lot very friendly.Hope to have a play over Christmas over your way on my slicked shod MTB !

OP
OP
Terry Kay

Terry Kay

Where you headed to Skud?

Unfortunately I'm working over the christmas period (Off Christmas day & Boxing day then back to work..) though that should mean the roads will be clearer and I can think about taking a more scenic commute!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Was hoping to do the Snake pass,Derwent,Castleton and Winnets pass,then home vie the Cat,we will see what time off with good behaviour i will get off Mrs Skud plus if my old legs will cope ! Might bite off a bit too much with all that :wacko:

400bhp

Guru

Terry

Welcome. :hello: Can you expand on the emboldened bit above?

400bhp

Guru
Was hoping to do the Snake pass,Derwent,Castleton and Winnets pass,then home vie the Cat,we will see what time off with good behaviour i will get off Mrs Skud plus if my old legs will cope ! Might bite off a bit too much with all that :wacko:

Skud-when are you thinking of this? Could I join you (assuming a pass out)?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

I was planning a similar route myself but starting/finishing in Ashton-under-Lyne. Did a quick run up to the Snake pass summit about a week ago and it was very straight forward but including Winnet's probably rules out the fixed Skud?

Where about are you Terry? Derbyshire is a pretty big place. (Never mind, I just spotted your postcode)

Send me a PM Skud, I could join you for a big part of that route and a snack!!!! at the Woodbine in Hope.

EDIT: 400BHP, great minds think alike. This is the route I was toying with - http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_1629634.html

Top Bottom